Random thoughts and the Universe's initial attempt at censorship

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to post this yesterday but there was an "area wide data outage" that shut down internet, phones, texting, etc. I think the Universe was trying to say something. I've never been good at listening, and so on with the original idea.

I need a time machine

I *want* to brew all these interesting recipes I find, see talked about, using interesting hops or yeasts or techniques

I really only have 2-3 times a month available

This “work” thing keeps getting in my way, but it does seem to pay the bills, so…

I long ago stopped worrying about being in the wrong demographic for all-hop-flavor beer styles, but I’m really beginning to worry that my demographic is shrinking into oblivion when I’m met with a blank stare at the mention of “English pub ale” or “German altbier”.

I long ago gave up watching “news” on TV; or “weather” for that matter.

And stay off my lawn

Here's your culprit.
SEE__First_Picture_of_a_Black_Hole_0_14970549_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

I'm in that "wrong demographic," too. Taprooms that feature pub ales and altbiers are few and far between. Maybe craft beer has become so mainstream that the hordes of breweries are just cranking out what's "safe." I get it, those are money-makers. So many places have the standard-issue list of a few IPAs, an APA, Irish red, maybe a blonde ale and a porter. And a Kolsch that tastes nothing like a Kolsch.

How about some Belgians? Some Dunkels? A Vienna lager?

/Lawn...get off it.
//Ties onion on belt and yells at clouds.
///Ignoring the weather today, stranded at home, anyway.

Myself and my circle seem to gravitate towards the less hop forward flavors. I definitely enjoy APA, but the recently variety packs I sent to various people, the bottle simply labeled “beer!” was the all around favorite. Who know beer drinkers liked beer??

As far as weather....it looks like someone pasted printer paper on all my windows. I will stand right next to you shaking my fist at these Minnesota clouds

I'm in that "wrong demographic," too. Taprooms that feature pub ales and altbiers are few and far between. Maybe craft beer has become so mainstream that the hordes of breweries are just cranking out what's "safe." I get it, those are money-makers. So many places have the standard-issue list of a few IPAs, an APA, Irish red, maybe a blonde ale and a porter. And a Kolsch that tastes nothing like a Kolsch.

How about some Belgians? Some Dunkels? A Vienna lager?

I'm finding that things are getting better on that front, rather than worse. I think that if you back 10 years, every brewery you came across had the same lineup: Blonde, APA, IPA, Red, Porter/Stout, Wheat.

It was the "complete enough to hit everyone, bland enough to completely underwhelm them."

While all manner of IPAs and HHHHHAAAAZZZZIIIIEEESSSSS!!!! are certainly big, I'm starting to see quite a lot more craft breweries in the lager game. A lot more sessionable ales of all types. Generally a lot more variety overall.

Maybe it's where I am... SoCal in general [and San Diego more particularly] has so many breweries that there is ample room for differentiation.

Every Single time I drink an anchor steam, I think wow why don’t I drink way more of this? But the fact that I so rarely drink it kind of proves your point. We are always seeking new and better, when sometimes old tried and true is the best. I just went to London for the first time, and was absolutely in love with their simple, low gravity, delicious beer.

I think bwarbiany hit the nail on the head. Where there is a higher concentration of breweries/brewpubs per capita, the choices of styles abound. If there is only one brewpub in town, then you'll get what you get. I live within an hour of Buffalo, Rochester, and the Finger Lakes in New York State and there is never a shortage of styles from which to choose. The Finger Lakes Beer Trail, for instance, includes over 65 breweries/brewpubs to sample within a reasonably short distance of each other. I'm not so sure a prolific choice of beers is as much a matter of "demographics" as it is a matter of... well, choices.

Back