Ranco on a 220 walk in freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike11b82

Reaction score
So my brother works at a restaurant that was moving,and,was able to get me a walk in freezer which is 220. It was hard wired in but I'm going to just put a plug on it and leave it plugged into the 30a outlet in my basement when in not brewing. So I want to put a ranco temp controller on it and I'm not 100% sure how to wire it. It's 4 wire 220 so from looking at the wiring diagram I will only use the two hots and just have the neutral and ground go straight to the cooler. I believe it's diagram 5 on the instructions that I'm referring to. Thanks your your help

Michael

To which instructional diagram are you referring? Can you post it? I'm assuming that you want to use the freezer as a refrigerator now? I'm guessing the the original control operated a liquid line solenoid valve and the compressor power is controlled by a pressure switch. The Ranco control can probably be used, but detailed drawings / model numbers would help!

Here is a pic of the freezer, it's a Norlake. The diagram is fig 5 on the ranco instructions.

image-270212038.jpg

image-270212038.jpg

Attachments

• image-624571486.jpg
    image-624571486.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 546
The more I think about it. I think I should use 1 hot and 1 neutral. I really have no idea and I don't want to ruin a new temp controller. Thanks

There should be a wiring diagram somewhere on the Norlake equipment. Sometimes it's on the inside cover of the electrical box on the compressor deck. Also, sometimes there's a drawing of typical hookups inside one of the end covers on the evaporator housing. Armed with that and a quick trace of the factory control and you should be able to see how to connect the Ranco control in place of the existing control.

If the factory control is connected to a liquid line solenoid, then your new control should operate that as well - rather than just power the compressor on / off with the new 'stat. If it was a freezer, then there should also be a defrost timer & evaporator heaters wired into the mix as well. The factory control may be somewhere on the compressor deck with a cap tube & bulb inside the evaporator housing (box on top) if it isn't mounted on an inside wall.

Ok here is what I'm thinking. I know how to bypas the defrost so can I wire it like this?

image-3831480617.jpg

The left side is the cooler.

Back