Raising up the burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altenmuenster

Reaction score
One day I will have a cool brew rig, but like many I'm in the garage/driveway with a keggle on a turkey frier burner. Is there a trick to raising up the keg off the SQ14 burner to get a good gravity flow (like through a CFC) or should I just be prepared to lift the (hot) keg to my workbench for now?

Get a concrete patio tile/block, or a few, place them on the table and the burner on that...

I used my burner on a tile covered table last brew day. With the KAB4 burner, we could put our hands directly under the burner without issue (it wasn't hot) as well as around the burner, so no heat was going off to the sides. I know of another brewer that uses his propane burner right on a wood deck... I'm sure this varies from burner to burner though. So, if you can't place your hand under the burner while it's going, or if the legs heat up enough to mark wood, get some of the concrete blocks from Lowe's/Home Depot and put them on the table...

yup. you can also use 1/2 durarock (concrete board) or those mats they sell at the boxstores for putting under BBQ's on wood decks. I had a bench with durarock on it before I made my RIMS system it worked great

I have two of those flexible concrete mats... Need to get them into the back of the truck soon, so that I can use them where/when needed. :D I got them back when I was using the bbq/smoker (that's now a dead item thanks to my LL)... I don't even remember what I paid for the thing... I do know they work really well, and would be more than large enough for your needs. Much easier to move around too.

Back