Racking Mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shmohel

Reaction score
So, here I am finished racking my Choc Raspberry Porter into the secondary....

I go to plug the carboy, and I guess it was still wet and when I plugged it, it pushed all the way in... I tried to pull it back, but in the process the plug fell into the beer. It was sanitized so I was not too concerned, but I had no other plugs handy.

So, I had to re-rack to a bucket. GAH! What a pain that was. I am pretty sure that my beer will be fine.

HB99, what's the record for most bungs stuffed into a batch?? :))

I must have different style bungs. I don't think I could get it to fall in if I stood on it...

slippery little suckers they are! i've never had that happen either. i get 'em about half-way in the neck of the carboy. hell gettin' them out sometimes! especially when they've been in the fermenting in the freezer for several weeks.....

I have several small ones, unfortunately only the one large.

Does anyone think that racking twice might aerate the brew too much and effect it?

Yes, your brew is screwed. Mail it to me.

Just kidding. But it really is a silly question. What's done is done. It'll be no big deal and you won't notice. What's more, you can't do anything about it.

I agree with what hb99 said. More bungs and airlocks. I buy a couple nearly every time I'm at a homebrew store. I think I'm finally starting to get enough together. Then, when you shove a bung in, you can post and ask whether the bung sitting in the fermenter is going to affect the flavor (I think that one has actually been asked).

BTW, the answer is, the bung will ruin your beer. Mail it to me.

Cheers :D

Shmohel said:
I have several small ones, unfortunately only the one large.

Does anyone think that racking twice might aerate the brew too much and effect it?

Nope, just don't slosh or splash it too much. The bung in the brew won't hurt it....but it'd drive me crazy knowing it's in there, too. :)

We need to add a special section on "bung management" to the FAQ's. :D

Thanks guys. I am not too worried about it. It was really the extra amount of time that it was exposed while I was reracking that bothered me.

Janx, maybe if you are lucky I will send you a bottle. I'm a nice guy.

Latest posts

Back