Racer 5 IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sittin here sipping a Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA while reading HBT and waiting to bottle my first beer in well over 10 years. Nice to have a great brewery here in my home town.

Once I get a few under my belt, I'll be wanting to try one of those two. Still too much of a noob right now. I have my first going right now.. the Coopers Lager (ale?) that came with the kit. I have a couple of other extracts planned, one with some steeping grains.. and then... maybe... I might try some "real" brewing.. but, maybe not.. we'll see how I like the "kit" brews for a while.. especially to get a pipeline going. Somehow... I will have to learn P a t i e n c e... :rolleyes:

Ever had a coopers beer? My experience-kinda sucked. Not shure if this is the same thing but nothing like the pliny you can get mF'er

Nope.. But, I've had the real Pliny at RR Brewing in Santa Rosa. Goot Schtuff.

Hey, a guy's gotta start somewhere. I see there are lots of folks here who have had Coop's and liked it. Some who have had problems with it.. but, I guess some folks have trouble with AG's too. I'm not ready to go there yet.

Try it out. Ive not. Only heard good and mostly bad things. But opinions are rough sometimes,its really up to you so have at. I used coopers ale yeast once. I have yet to determine what i think of it,but so far so good i used it on a big rye ipa,and a reg. rye pa. Still in conditioning mode but so far ive enjoyed them but know they are not at full potential,or if it ever gets there.
Its weird, i hear a lot of bad and alot of good things,especially with the extracts,.
This is how i look at brewing, when you make beer, then you go to a brewery and get your first pumpkin growler from a small brewery, bring it home you spent 20 bucks on a generous tip new growler and a nice smelling beer, then you try it and know that even your first one was better than that? You know your doing something right.
Just rambling and sharing and experience here, but i wasted 20 bucks on a growler when i could have bought more good supplies to make my own thinking this was going to be superior,well i would have rather drank my own.I mean its not a big brewery but still they can stuff and sell it and i guess i know why they didnt can this one.

We are fortunate to have some really good breweries around here.. Between Boonville, Russian River Lagunitas, Bear Republic.. and a few others.

I've tried pumpkin once.. didn't care for it. Guess that's why there are so many different styles...

Also differnet interpratations of styles,dont forget that. Not every pumpkin is equal,nor porters,stouts...and your least favorite stlyles. I was closed minded before thinkining i didnt like a style because of one or two beers from differnt brewerys meaning there are better interpretations of stlye by brewery,and i consistantly believe every brewery has its weak beers/incredible ones.Just my opinion,may not mean **** to you but just an observation.
And i have yet to have a lagunitas/bear republic i havent liked but like many i shure as hell have not tried all those. And probably cant because the brewery usually has stuff on tap only for locals.

Back