Quince Wine - When/How to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amnesia180

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've made some quince wine, the juice itself once it was boiled and cooled tastes really nice (I added sugar). The colour is nice and pink, and I have a tree full of them - so thought why not give it a go.

Anyway, fermentation is underway and has been transferred to a demijohn.

I will leave it until fermentation is complete, and then a 3 months more.

Following that, I will bottle. Now, how do I do this? Can I just use discarded screw top wine bottles? Or should I use cork only? Will plastic corks suffice, or should I get a proper corking tool and use corks only?

Many thanks.

id love to see how this turns out as ive got quinces

let me know if you have a taste at any point

Hi All,

I've made some quince wine, the juice itself once it was boiled and cooled tastes really nice (I added sugar). The colour is nice and pink, and I have a tree full of them - so thought why not give it a go.

Anyway, fermentation is underway and has been transferred to a demijohn.

I will leave it until fermentation is complete, and then a 3 months more.

Following that, I will bottle. Now, how do I do this? Can I just use discarded screw top wine bottles? Or should I use cork only? Will plastic corks suffice, or should I get a proper corking tool and use corks only?

Many thanks.

It is a matter of choice here. I have done all of the above. I brew a lot and and give a lot to friends, so I always ask them if they have used wine bottles give them to me for a refill. The screw tops are nicest bc its fill and screw the cap. I have also filled wine in beer bottle but i have a beer caper. So all of the ideas work it really is up to you, if I give stuff out as gifts I will put them i fancy wine bottle cork it and seal the top and homemade lable. But you can even use anything that is food grade and seals well. I haved used tequilla bottles, aunt jemima glass bottles etc . i attached a pict with all sort of bottles.

IMG_7798.jpg

Thanks for all the info.

I have a bottle capper for the cider that I make.

They all look like really great gifts! Giving me plenty of ideas for next year.

Glad that all ideas work, this year we will make do with what we have, and use a mixture of wine bottles, screw tops, beer bottles and corks!

I think it depends. For wines that will be drunk quickly then the amount of surface area at the top (mason jars) does not make much difference but if you are making five gallons of a wine and plan to keep the wines for a length of time then narrow necked bottles work much better. Plastic may be fine but many kinds of plastic - even food grade - are not designed for acidic-alcoholic storage and may leach chemicals. PET or glass is best. Corks or crown caps work well but screw tops have a shelf life (the cap) and can only seal the bottle for a few cycles of use before the quality of the seal is greatly diminished... .

Did you taste it? How'd it end up?

Starting my own quince wine myself. First attempt, anyhow.

Would you be so kind to post how you made the quince wine and possible recipe? Making some myself and have a couple gallons of juice waiting for a good receipe

I didn't follow any recipe and I haven't tasted it yet, so can't tell you. Took a juicer and ended up with about 1 gallon of juice and a few gallons of pulp. Pitched MLF bacteria and wine yeast in the gallon, and boiled about 6 gallons of water with the pulp, to which I added sugar and yeast.

No idea what the results will be yet.

Back