quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy3829

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing my second 5 gallon extract batch soon, and I'm wondering if I can boil my hops in 1 gallon of wort then mix it with the rest of my wort to ferment

You can do that, but for the bittering addition (the early addition), you will get more AA extraction/conversion in a larger volume.

You can do that, but for the bittering addition (the early addition), you will get more AA extraction/conversion in a larger volume.

Yes, your hop utilization will suffer if you boil a smaller volume. You will either have to compensate with more hops in the one batch or you could split the hop schedule among the batches.

That is only because it sounds like you maybe cant boil a 5g batch in one pot.

My first batch I did a 2.5 gallon boil, but my stove top struggled to get to a boil. If my beer will struggle with flavor though, I will just deal with it until I can get a propane burner

I think i have seen people do 3/4 pots equal volumes. Scale everything to recipe. Split the mash up into your 3 vessels and boil each with hops. Perhaps your grill is better? Maybe get new stove elements if you are using the coil type?

Back