Quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abweatherley

Reaction score
I'm about to start brewing next week (hopefully) have a 20 minute boil kit on order from Midwest.

What do people think about these or should I just got straight into a specialty grain kit being that they r roughly the same price. Also what kits do people prefer, Austin Homebrewing or Midwest, or Northern brewer even.

I'm about to start brewing next week (hopefully) have a 20 minute boil kit on order from Midwest.

What do people think about these or should I just got straight into a specialty grain kit being that they r roughly the same price. Also what kits do people prefer, Austin Homebrewing or Midwest, or Northern brewer even.
Well, seems you're going to start with what you have on order. I'm not meaning to stir up a bee's nest either, but to me, the partial mash kits have a more well rounded flavour, and the are just as easy to make. Just saying....
The suppliers are all good guys and are on and off the forums here at times. You'll have to pick your fav and go with them.

I would say buy what you like to drink. An extract kit with specialty grains is pretty easy. Stay away from a high gravity beer for your first one. Do something that will have a quick turnaround.

I second the specialty grains route.

All of those vendors are great. You may also want to look at MoreBeer.com out of California. Great guys as well...

I agree with all that has been said, I go with who has what kind of kit I want (malt extract and partial mash kit) and who is the cheapest. They are all the same to me and what sets them aside for me is who is cheaper. Like already said, the partial grain kits are super easy. Just remember to sanitize after boil and don't worry about the little things, it will turn out GREAT! Oh and get the liquid yeast ("Smack Pack") so much better and takes off instantly (this brew I'm getting ready to bottle started fermenting within 8 hours...when I woke up the next morning I looked and it was going).

Cheers and relax, it will turn out amazingly!

Another +1 for a specialty grain kit.

What I will add is this time of year you may also want to consider in the heat what vendor is closest to you as far as ship times. It could help it arrive nicer if you are dealing with LME and liquid yeast.

Back