Quick one on mash ph.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faseel

Reaction score
Hi folks, happy brew day!

I'm doing my first IPA and I'm half way through mash and my ph is holding at 5.52 should I lower it for an IPA ? If yes use some buffer or lactic acid?

Thank you!

How are you measuring that pH? Meter or strips? The pH should be around 5.4 at the early stage of mashing when you measure a room temperature wort sample with a calibrated pH meter. If using strips, the reading should be even lower since they have a consistent reading error.

Hey guys, using a Hanna hi98128 that I calibrated this morning. I also have my recent water report and entered it into brew'n water with all the appropriate adjustment for my grain bill. I'm am baffled. At the 1.3 hour mark and checking now.

Ok

Double checked brew'n water and I bone headed my grain bill so I hung at the edged of the ideal range. Bahhhh it's an IPA so I'm all of my spare water to beat it down. Thanks for the input !

Back