Quick disconnects and high temp. tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
brasswf.jpg

That is the fitting we have on our keggles (Stainless steel 1/2" Stainless nipple, washer, coupler and locknut. Brass ball valve, and barb fitting. Silicon o-rings.)

I would like to order some quick disconnects and some high temperature tubing and think that Mcmaster.com is the place to go but I am having a hard time figuring out which parts I would need.

It wont allow me to order from that website. Anyone else have problems with it?

...nevermind, just crappy Google Chrome not working again. Works with IE.

Are you sure you linked me to the 1/2" tubing? It says, "Crush-Resistant Silicone Rubber Tubing 1/4" ID, 7/16" OD, 3/32" Wall Thickness."

BTW, what are AHS and B3?

And is that tubing even necessary or is using the hose from Lowes with the nylon braid in it OK?

10 characters

Are you sure you linked me to the 1/2" tubing? It says, "Crush-Resistant Silicone Rubber Tubing 1/4" ID, 7/16" OD, 3/32" Wall Thickness."

BTW, what are AHS and B3?

And is that tubing even necessary or is using the hose from Lowes with the nylon braid in it OK?

AHS = Austin Homebrew Supply
B3 = Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies | MoreBeer

You can use the nylon braid stuff, but it's stiff and unless it's rated for high temp you may get some "plastic" taste in your beer. Some people have used it with no problems, but I won't risk it. A one time purchase of the good stuff, and I can rest easy at night.

So that tubing that you linked to, you called it 1/2" tubing, but it is only 1/4" ID tubing, is that the correct stuff for those fittings and 1/2" brass hose barbs?

also, the pricing was different from what you said which is making me wonder if it is a different tubing, "1-99 Ft. $1.99 per Ft.
100 or more $1.49 per Ft."

So that tubing that you linked to, you called it 1/2" tubing, but it is only 1/4" ID tubing, is that the correct stuff for those fittings and 1/2" brass hose barbs?

also, the pricing was different from what you said which is making me wonder if it is a different tubing, "1-99 Ft. $1.99 per Ft.
100 or more $1.49 per Ft."

Looks like they changed the part numbers, or I sent you a link from a different order. Here's the link to AHS: Austin Homebrew Supply

Same price as McMaster and B3, $2.10/ft.

TwoHeads:

I assume that you're using a pump in that setup? Which one do you use? Also, do you use that keggle (in the pic) as your boil pot as well as HLT?

TwoHeads:

I assume that you're using a pump in that setup? Which one do you use? Also, do you use that keggle (in the pic) as your boil pot as well as HLT?

Yes, I'm using the same march pump that most everyone uses - the 809HS. I got mine from MoreBeer, but Austin HomeBrew has a better price: Austin Homebrew Supply

I actually have 3 kegs that I have converted: HLT, MLT, BK. For a while there I was using a Rubbermaid cooler, but I wanted the ability to do 10 gallons of high gravity beers. The 10 gallon cooler was good to about 1.070, but the sanke enables me to make 10 gallon batches up to around 1.100.

Here are the QD's and Tubing that I used:

Male QD to 1/2 male NPT thread: http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=6739K59
Female QD to 1/2 hose barb: http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=6739K64
Alternately use a 90 degree Female QD: http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=6739K68
1/2" Silicone high temp tubing: http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=3184K1
$2.10/ft. (same price at AHS or B3 I think)

Question. Did you soak the brass QD's in vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to remove any surface lead or use as is? My thinking so far is that since these are newer parts (made in the USA) and specifically designed for high temp water they should be OK as is.

Question. Did you soak the brass QD's in vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to remove any surface lead or use as is? My thinking so far is that since these are newer parts (made in the USA) and specifically designed for high temp water they should be OK as is.

no, I did not soak them in vinegar but I did a hot PBW soak and rinse when I got my whole setup assembled. That was more to make sure everything was clean of grime, grease, and dirt than trying to remove lead.

Back