Quick bottling question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasDroughtBrewery

Reaction score
So I am going to bottle for the first time soon (I keg). The things I have heard about bottling is of course making sure they are sanitized because you don't want to get an infection in the bottle they can become bombs. So my question...

I am going to start with just a 1 gallon batch on this (or 9 bottles from what I have read). Can I just place them to soak in sanitizer then dip them in a water bucket and go straight to racking the beer while its still wet? Is that the safest way then trying to get them dry b/c I don't imagine a little water would hurt anything?

what type of sanitizer are you using? You would do best to get a no-rinse one like starsan.

As long as the bottles are clean of any residue, you just dunk them, and fill them right up while they are wet. Rinsing with water would only make them more susceptible to infection

do you have a bottle wand?

If you're using starsan, it's meant to be no-rinse. Dipping in water, unless it's pre-boiled and your hands don't touch it, risks re-contaminating the bottles. That said, if they soak in the starsan too long, it can leave a film on them.

I personally turn up my water heater temporarily and run the bottles through a no-soap cycle in the dishwasher with hi-heat. That also sanitizes them.

Sanitizing and then rinsing could infect the bottles from contamination by the rinse water. Is your sanitizer Star San? If you are using a Star San solution pour a couple ounces in each cleaned bottle, shake and pour out. Keep the bottles inverted/leaning until you fill. Star San is a no rinse sanitizer.

I think more than 3 or 4 hours? It's opaque and feels a bit slimy. See it worst on plastic equipment, especially tubing. I remember reading somewhere that it's harmless and can simply be rinsed off. But it might be a bit more of a nusiance on the interior of bottles.

Get a Vinator, about $20 at the LHBS. Put a quart of Starsan in the reservoir, put a bottle upside-down on the plunger and pump it a few times. It shoots a spray of sanitizer up inside the bottle. Let the bottle drain, then fill with beer.

vinator__37898.jpg

Wow thanks for all the advise, good thing I asked! Ok so I will get StarSan I have to go up to my LHBS anyways this week. I didn't plan on letting them sit for that long maybe 15 mins so I should be good there. Yeah I have a bottle wand it came with my original starter kit just never used it.

So the plan is make sure there is no actually debris in the bottle dip the glass in the starsan (no rinse) for a few mins and then rack immediately for best results.

i just fill my stainless sink up with 3-4 in. of starsan mix. Its big enough to get about 12 bottles lying down in it. I have the bottling bucket on a shelf with the bottling wand hanging down over the sink. Then i just grab a bottle, drain it, and fill. Works well, and little mess.

IMO though, sanitation is taken to the extreme. Once the beer is fermented, there is enough alcohol present to ward off most infections. I mix up one batch of star san and will typically bottle 5-10 gallons and not worry much. The mix gets pretty discolored from spilling beer, overflow from the wand, misc dirt and debree from the bottles. Never had a problem. Only time i really take sanitation real serious is the time frame from when the boil stops, till about 72 hours into fermentation. Any other time, there is little risk of an infection. Thats just my practice, and my 2 cents. I have never had an infection in my 4 years of brewing.

cider, on the other hand, is different. seems apple juice is very easily contaminated. I have even taken a mason jar, boiled it, soaked it in star san, then filled with leftover apple juice, for top offs later. 3 days later you could see mold in it. My infection ratio was around 50% of my ciders, until i switched to all glass fermenters. Seems cider is not a big fan of plastic.

i just fill my stainless sink up with 3-4 in. of starsan mix. Its big enough to get about 12 bottles lying down in it. I have the bottling bucket on a shelf with the bottling wand hanging down over the sink. Then i just grab a bottle, drain it, and fill. Works well, and little mess.

IMO though, sanitation is taken to the extreme. Once the beer is fermented, there is enough alcohol present to ward off most infections. I mix up one batch of star san and will typically bottle 5-10 gallons and not worry much. The mix gets pretty discolored from spilling beer, overflow from the wand, misc dirt and debree from the bottles. Never had a problem. Only time i really take sanitation real serious is the time frame from when the boil stops, till about 72 hours into fermentation. Any other time, there is little risk of an infection. Thats just my practice, and my 2 cents. I have never had an infection in my 4 years of brewing.

cider, on the other hand, is different. seems apple juice is very easily contaminated. I have even taken a mason jar, boiled it, soaked it in star san, then filled with leftover apple juice, for top offs later. 3 days later you could see mold in it. My infection ratio was around 50% of my ciders, until i switched to all glass fermenters. Seems cider is not a big fan of plastic.

Wow actually I am really glad you posted this. I was going to try my hand at a cider soon b/c the wife likes them. I was going this weekend to buy a plastic bucket for them. NOT any more!

Wow actually I am really glad you posted this. I was going to try my hand at a cider soon b/c the wife likes them. I was going this weekend to buy a plastic bucket for them. NOT any more!

the world market by me sells apple juice in one gallon glass jugs for $10. Thats what i use now. Its a double whammy, you get a fermenter, and the juice to ferment!

the world market by me sells apple juice in one gallon glass jugs for $10. Thats what i use now. Its a double whammy, you get a fermenter, and the juice to ferment!

I have one of those close by I will be checking today. Do you guys pitch the yeast right in or do you simmer it around 180 degrees for the 45 mins? Also after you bottle the cider is it similar to beer you have to add the priming sugar to carbonate it?

I have one of those close by I will be checking today. Do you guys pitch the yeast right in or do you simmer it around 180 degrees for the 45 mins? Also after you bottle the cider is it similar to beer you have to add the priming sugar to carbonate it?

some heat the juice, but i never have. As long as it has been pasturized already, your good. Priming is the same, but i prefer mine flat and dry. Just make sure you let it ferment down below 1.000 or you will have bombs. Most of the time, mine will get to 0.998

I do the dish washer as well and have a mixture of star san in a spray bottle and I'll usually just shoot a few sprays down each bottle and it seems to run down the sides. Good enough for me.

Now granted I have only bottle 3 time..But on my last one I just dunked the bottle in my star-san solution, got about 3-4oz in the bottle, covered the top with palm of hand and then shook the bottle, drained star-san and went to next bottle..Did this for all the bottles then started bottling going in order they were sanitized.

I just rinse my bottles with tap water, let them dry for a while, and then I put them in the oven at 400F for at least 15 minutes. Just need to remember to let them cool before bottling :)

Latest posts

Back