Quick boil question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguin69

Reaction score
I have a hard time keeping my boil from bubbling up after adding the DME,LME and hops. I have a 7.5 gallon boil kettle and I only boil 3 gallons because my boil will get close to the top. Never boiled over yet but how do you control the bubbles? I turn the heat down and stir but it still gets pretty bad. I just started spraying with water and helped a little but not enough to be able to do a full boil. Could I maybe be heating the wort to fast to get to boil first?

You just have to control the heat very carefully. I did 7 gallons boils in my 30 qt turkey fryer pot. It holds about 8 gallons to the rim. I would turn down the heat before adding anything until it was just barely boiling then after the foam subsided I would turn the heat back up. You also don't need it to boil at full tilt. As long as you have constant bubbling from the boil it is enough.

Fermcap-s will also keep the foaming down. I stopped using it because it is silicone. I am not really worried about it since it settles to the bottom and would not make it through the transfers. But decided I did not need it.

You can also use Fermcap to control the krausen and limit blowoff.

Fermcap-S. Never brew without it.

Boil-overs are a thing of the past; never need to keep watch on the pot.

Use in fermenter too to minimize blow-offs.

Probably costs about 15 cents a batch; but it saves a lot of worry and beer.

Back