Questionable brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pschrey109

Reaction score
July 13th I brewed a batch of Red Ale from ingredients I bought online. I was wondering while brewing if this batch would take b/c the package left on my doorstep sat in the sun all day and the ice pack to keep the yeast and hops cool was long melted.
I brewed anyway and initially had nothing for the first couple days. I got discouraged and busy and left the batch for another week in the primary. I went to check on it and there was a white, moldy looking formation on the top of the liquid. I assumed the yeast had been tarnished in the shipment and an infection had got this batch. I absentmindedly left the batch in the closet for another month. I finally got around to dump it today but when I opened the lid I was greeted by the familiar smell of beer and not the moldy, gross odor I was expecting.
I figured maybe it was a late ferment and the beer might be Ok so I put it the secondary and back into the closet to settle and see if anything developed that looked bad. This was after tasting the brew and it tasted, well, OK. No nasty after taste or lingering odors and I am not sick either.

My question after this lengthy description is whether anyone thinks this batch is worth bottling or not?

Thanks

It's probably beer! :D The white formation was the yeast called krausen. When the yeast gets active it forms on the top then settles back down to the bottom after fermentation is complete.

Taste it. If it seems alright, bottle it.

Only chuck it if it's awful tasting and definately gone bad.

Probably most of your yeast died from the heat, but it sounds like enough survived to do the job.

If it smells & tastes like beer, it's beer!

Latest posts

Back