Question: Wiring for Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaehnig

Reaction score
So I was unable to repair my Xbox 360 and I cannibalized an old phone charger to begin the creation of my stir plate. After wiring it up I plugged it in and it works! The fan needs DC12V with 0.4A. The charger is rated at 5.1V with 0.7A. Will this cause a problem for me anywhere down the line? I am not very electrically savvy and explanations would be awesome so I can learn a bit about this. I have attached a few pictures to aid.

*Note:There are two fans with this set up but each is separately rated as I wrote above. Only one fan is wired to the charger.

V/R,
BrewTech

image-1392708902.jpg

image-3998936918.jpg

image-1515724055.jpg

So far the cost to me has been "zero" since I am using crap that is otherwise useless. As long as it spins some I'll be pleased. Better than no stir plate, right?

That'll do just fine

I just got mine out and used it for the first time. It was used and I bought it about 2 years ago, but just now decided to use it.

Same deal - 12v fan powered with a 5v cell charger. It had a switch and a POT from Radio Shack for speed control.

I have to say, it didn't work for ****
It spun the stir bar, but it was not enough to draw a vortex in a 1L starter in a 2L flask.

I upped it to a 12v power supply and added a PWM for speed control (It was in the garage)

Works like a champ now - Give it a go with the 5v supply - It'll turn the magnet, but not too fast. I would seriously consider trying it with a 9v power supply if 5 isn't enough.

It should be fine. I'm willing to be you have a ton of other wall worts around the house if the cell phone charger doesnt work out.

you can also take apart the hard drive in the xbox to get some magnets to glue to the fan.

Yeah I could do that. Was planning on keeping it for something...

Back