Question regarding a diy glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avandss

Reaction score
I have a full brewtech 7 gallon unitank setup, everything is in the wine cellar in our basement, it is a very small 9x9 room in cement.

I am about to make a small chiller using a 99$ 5000btu Danny window Ac

However since it will not longer exhaust outside will this be a heat problem?

How much heat does it actually generate ?

If you don't exhaust the heat outside the room in which you keep this chiller, you will end up fighting temps. That is, the room will get warmer, and thus the chiller will have to fight harder to keep up. The more it runs, the greater the heat it produces, which will increase ambient temps in the room.

Think about it this way: when you pull heat out of a fermenter, it has to go somewhere. The air conditioner exhausts that heat to the outside of a house. But if you keep that in your little room, it'll just warm up the room.

Now, if you use this just to maintain ferm temps in, say, the 60s, this probably won't be a huge issue. And if you have a very cool room (it's a wine celler, cement walls--lots of thermal mass there to absorb heat), then you may be OK.

But I'd question what happens if you try to crash that fermenter to, say, 38 degrees. That's about as low as mine goes, and the chiller runs a lot to do that--and it's a Penguin chiller, not an air conditioner not designed originally to chill. In other words, it's pumping out heat, both from the heat pulled out of the fermenter, and the heat generated by the running of the chiller.

One other thing: it's a wine celler. Do you want your wine to rise in temperature too?

I'm hoping someone else who has this kind of thing in an enclosed space can weigh in as to how much rise they see. The saving grace might be the cement walls, but even then, over a 3-4 day period, things are going to warm up in there.

Thank you very much for the reply. The cellar has enclosed wine fridges so that is not a issue, it is only the liquors that are on shelves and chilling then is a +

Im starting to realize this will not work, I would of permanently installed it out side however with the -30c winters here I don’t think the chiller will survive

I have mine in a slightly larger room 10 X18 but I really don't notice any issues. I have the temp of the glycol set at -3C and the a/c unit really doesn't come on that often and only for a short time. The only time it runs for a bit is when I first start it up to drop the temp if I haven't been using the chiller, but even then it takes 15 minutes to go from room temp down to -5C and if I am using it for fermentation control I set the glycol at about +10C

Back