Question on fruit beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smee44

Reaction score
The SWMBO wants me to try a fruit beer so I have started looking at the recipes and reading. I have one simple question I couldn’t find the answer to. Almost all say to add the fruit to the “secondary” after 7 days in the primary. I know why we don’t boil the fruit, and I know we want the yeast to still be active, but why not add right to the primary after wort is cooled?

Reasons I came up with…
1. Higher risk of infection, since fruit isn’t boiled it could have nasties on it. With no alcohol or active yeast present they could take over.
2. Adding later allows more of the aroma or flavor to be imparted on the beer.

So last thing that goes along with this, if it is best to add after ~7days, can I just open the primary, add and close back up? My only vessels available to secondary are 5 gallons and with the added fruit volume would probably be too full.

Thanks for the clarification.

You don't want the aromatics to be off-gassed with the primary fermentations CO2. Also pectin can be an issue if boiled (clouding). There are other reasons but those are the big ones. Canned puree is a great way to go. If not that I like to freeze my fruit first to help break it down a bit.

If you only have one vessel then open it up and toss it in. You might listen to the Jamil Show's episode on fruit beers. It has some really good information.

I'll check out Jamil's show, I seem to always forget that resource. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

If you're gonna add fruit to the secondary, you'll get a new fermentation and the resulting CO2 will scrub off some of the aroma compounds anyway. I say just toss it in the primary after the initial fermentation so the entire yeast cake is available to do it's magic. That way there's a quicker secondary fermentation and less risk of infection. Let is sit for a couple of weeks then rack to a secondary. You won't be dissapointed. ;)

If you're gonna add fruit to the secondary, you'll get a new fermentation and the resulting CO2 will scrub off some of the aroma compounds anyway. I say just toss it in the primary after the initial fermentation so the entire yeast cake is available to do it's magic. That way there's a quicker secondary fermentation and less risk of infection. Let is sit for a couple of weeks then rack to a secondary. You won't be dissapointed. ;)

We are pretty much saying the same thing. When I say secondary I am speaking mostly about post primary fermentation. I do like the beer to clear a bit because I believe the settling can unintentionally settle out some desirable fruit flavors if the fruit is added too soon. It is a bit like dry hopping. My preference is racking and then fruiting. I have tried both ways many times and the most successful ones for me have been the secondary additions. I find more fruit character and flavor are retained this way. I will often let the beer sit on the fruit for a long period of time and do not want it sitting on all that primary yeast. I have never found justification for too much concern about infection problems.

But as in all things, do what you want. It is your beer.

Thanks guys defiantly confirmed what i had already thought, for my first attempt at a fruit beer i believe i will let it go 10-14 days in the primary then add fruit to the primary for another 10-14 days then rack to a secondary for clearing or just bottle from there depending on where it is at.

This should allow the majority of the fermentation to be done leading to more aroma. Now I just have to fit this in on my brew schedule. Or is this the excuse to get another primary... I mean I can't have my primary tied up for a month. Can I.

Back