question on cider recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aja1983

Reaction score
I am thinking of beginning a cider recipe with an original gravity of 1.120 by adding 7 lbs of different types of sugars. I want it to naturaly come down to a fg of 1.030 to keep some residual sweetness and still be able to prime and carb. I am using a cider yeast that has a tolerance of 12% (wyeast liquid starter).

Will the yeast be able to handle this much sugar all at once?

Can I still use priming sugar to carb or will yeast be dead at 12 % ( 1.030) fg

Yeast will prob be alive enough to carbonate at 12% the amount of priming sugar should not effect the ABV that much. They may not be happy but they will be alive. The bigger issue is how are you going to stop the fermentation at 1.030? Are you going to add a bunch of unfermentable sugar??? Are you going to kill off the yeast at 1.030??? If so then how are you going to carbonate??. If you just let it ferment out I would guess you will have < 1.000 rocket fuel..

Thanks for the reply!

I came across an equation that said (og - fg ) * 131 equals abv.

So... ( 1.120 - 1. 030 ) * 131 equals about 12 % abv

So using the yeast with a 12 % alc tolerance, I was hoping it would naturaly stop and leave the remaining sugar. Then I would prime with another cup sugar to get one last bit of by gas out of the yeast.

Don't know if it would keep going and produce bottle bombs.

Thanks for the help

It Prob wont stop at 12% it will keep going for a while past there but the yeast will be stressed and you will prob end up with off flavors. I would expect the yeast to die off at some point when the ABV got too high maybe 15% but then you have the problem that they are dead and can't carbonate.

Question, not an answer...
Why not bottle at 1.030? The yeast should be alive enough to carbonate, but streesed enough that they will go dormant under the pressure. They can also be regridgerated after carbonation to ensure dormancy.

might be worth a try. you just have no real idea how much they will carbonate

Thanks for the reply!

I came across an equation that said (og - fg ) * 131 equals abv.

So... ( 1.120 - 1. 030 ) * 131 equals about 12 % abv

So using the yeast with a 12 % alc tolerance, I was hoping it would naturaly stop and leave the remaining sugar. Then I would prime with another cup sugar to get one last bit of by gas out of the yeast.

Don't know if it would keep going and produce bottle bombs.

Thanks for the help

It is actually 131.25 thought I'd be the stickler.

Back