Question on boiling/hot break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekapaug19

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch ever on friday night with the groupon kit from midwest supplies, it's currently fermenting. One question I had was in the boiling stage. After I added the malt extract and brought to a boil, it never really bubbled up like I read it should (I think it was called the hot break). All I remember was that is had a slight foam, much like the head of a beer, but then went away fairly quick. It was an Irish Stout, not sure if that makes a difference at all or not. Will this be a problem?

Thanks for any advice.

That will not be a problem. The Hot Break is actually the point where thewort stops trying to boil over. You may not have had quite enough heat to get a vigorous boil. I use a Turkey Frier and have to be careful, it will boil over in a heartbeat if I don't turn it down just a bit and keep stirring the foam until it breaks.

sounds good...thanks. follow up question, is it better not to have one, or does it really not make any difference at all. thanks again, that question was bothering me all weekend

It's my understanding that you still experienced a hot break. It's just not as dramatic as it could be if you were using a turkey fryer. I boil on my gas stove and notice a "break" when the wort goes from somewhat random (location-wise) boiling bursts with foam scattered around the surface to a constant gentle boil where the bubbles all rise in one location and the foam gathers at the opposite side of the pot.

I brewed my 3rd batch last night, and the one thing that did go right was that I was very aware of the hot break and (I think) managed it well. I was making a high gravity recipe, and trying a larger boil volume than I ever have before (in the same sized pot), so during the hot break I had one hand on the burner knob and the other hand on a spoon for the entire time... but it worked out just fine.

In my second batch, I wasn't really consciously aware of the hot break, because I had enough extra room in my brewpot that I didn't need to carefully managed the heat. My guess is that's probably what happened with the OP. If you aren't trying to manage a hot break that is right on the edge of a boil-over, it just kinda looks like a bunch of foam.

Back