Question: Grain Amounts for Partial Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishredthecello

Reaction score
Does it matter what ratio of grains you use for a partial mash?

I am wondering if this would work...

• 2lbs Weyermann Abbey Malt
  • 1lb Belgian Special B
  • 1lb Belgian CaraVienne

I watched a video on YouTube that does a process I want to try. They say to use 4lbs of base and then whatever specialty malts. So should I use 2lbs of Abbey? From what I understand the Weyermann Abbey Malt is a base grain.

Then I'm planning on using extract for the rest.

Another question, if I go with this, and use 1.5q p/lb of water, how much end 'wort' would I have from the PM. Is there a way to figure that out?

Thanks.

The Weyermann website says you can use up to 50% abbey malt, so my assumption is that it lacks the diastatic power to fully convert the starches so you'll need some other base malt to provide the additional diastatic power.

The simple formula for figuring out how much wort you'll have given an amount of grain and a water ratio is:

V = ((G * R)/4)-D-(G * .12)

Where: G = weight of grain in lbs
R = water to grain ratio
D = dead space of mash tun
.12 = constant absorbtion rate(gal/lb)
4 = conversion from qts to gals

So I should add another 2 lbs of a base malt then, for example: Belgian Pale Ale Malt?

What size is your batch, and what is your target OG? most recipies I have seen include 6.6 lbs LME or 10 lbs total grains for a 5 gallon batch.

Some more math for you to chew on:

1 LB grain =.66 LB DME =.75 LB LME.

If you have an AG recipie and you want to convert it to partial mash, remove half the base malt and replace it with an *equivelant* amount of LME or DME using the conversions above.

OG target right now is 1.085. I can modify recipe if needed to account for changing grain bill. Its a receipe I just made up on hopville. 5 gallon batch.

Is there a rule of thumb ratio of grains to LME (using Northern Brewer Gold) when Partial Mashing? Or does it not matter as long as there is the peoper amount of base grain to specialty?

I've tried this before, but am trying to improve process, as we all are.

Thanks for replies and ummm... patience. Haha ��

The thinner the mash the higher your efficiency will be. Mash think we does not effect the fermentability of the wort nearly as much as temperature. With a thinner mash it is easier to stir and therefore easier to hold at a constant temperature. IMO, less extract makes better beer, but for large batches or high gravity beer I might add 20% extracts or adjuncts.

OG target right now is 1.085. I can modify recipe if needed to account for changing grain bill. Its a receipe I just made up on hopville. 5 gallon batch.

Is there a rule of thumb ratio of grains to LME (using Northern Brewer Gold) when Partial Mashing? Or does it not matter as long as there is the peoper amount of base grain to specialty?

I've tried this before, but am trying to improve process, as we all are.

Thanks for replies and ummm... patience. Haha ��

For me the limiting factor on PMs was the amount of water my stove could boil and then size of my brew pot. For my ceramic top electric stove it takes about 1.5 hours to boil 4.5 gallons of water. Therefore I bring 4.5 gallons water to strike temp, add the grains in a grain bag, close the top and mash for 60 minutes. As stated above, thinner mashes usually result in better effeciency. As to the max grains to mash, its limited by thue volume of your brew pot, after accounting for the volume of water plus the displacement of the grains. I placed the calculation into a cell on my recipie spreadsheet and labeled it " kettle check". It reminds me not to overflow my kettle.

Back