Question about using 2 power cables

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carter05

Reaction score
So for my system I have two, three wire, 10 gauge cables. I have two 30 amp breakers in the main panel. I am installing a 60 amp GFCI and have split the green wires of the two cables so one acts as a neutral and the other as a ground. The the hots are doubled up but otherwise wired in normally. My question is will this work properly and will this setup work for running both of my 5500 watt heaters at once? I have wired my control panel so the heaters are wired up on different cables. I guess I'm nervous about 'load sharing' between the cables going back to the panel since they are both wired through the one gfci breaker.

so you have two 30 amp breakers (im assuming 120v, opposite legs of the 240v feed?) in the main panel, going into a single 60amp (assuming 240v?), which then splits into two cables (120 or 240v?) going to the control panel...?

as long as the two 3-wire, 10ga cables are handling 240v (and/or as long as the elements are 240v) you would be pulling 50A max, and should be OK.

If the elements are 120v 5500w elements and you are splitting the 240v off of the GFCI back into 120v, then no, that is NOT OK.

The breakers in the main panel are 240v as are the elements.
I know doing it this way most definitely isn't up to code, it's just what I have to work with. Just wanted to make sure it was still 'ok' to do it this way.

Back