Question about the air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vampyre

Reaction score
Hello all first post here. everything is going good with the first brew its in the primary and been in there for 23 hours still no bubbles but if i push down on the top the lock releases lots of air.

i have the 3 piece cylinder air lock and i have water in it but am i suppose to not have water in the pipe that goes into the bucket and just in the surround part of the pipe where the flotey piece is? caus i got it all full of water pipe and all to the line marked half way ish.

thanks in advanced

cant wait to get all 40 swing tops full then empty again <^.^>

Airlock half full of water, glycerin, or vodka, and you're fine. The idea of the central tube is that excess CO2 can come out, but it has to push through the water lock... conversely, the outside air cannot get in because of that water lock. The little floaty piece inside is what really does the work in this regard. So just watch for the float to jiggle and a bubble will come out. Repeat ad nauseum.

All you do to load these locks is stuff lock in the bung, the bung in the carboy, the floaty in the lock, fill half way, put the lid on the lock, and you're done.

Vampyre, good luck with your brew and welcome to the forum. Let us all know how it turns out.

Will do im brewing the northland ale from AHS its was recommend by one of the guys there as a good first brew and great summer ale.

next is going to be either a bock a stout or something like sam adams octoberfest or winter brew.

Back