Question about recirculating with BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamorgan3777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Was thinking about recirculating with my BIAB setup. Have a stainless head march pump. Do I throttle that on the output or input side? Full flow seems like too much. Need to knock it down some.

I just bought one of those tiny little pumps off Amazon for this very thing. I guess I am going to need to put a hole in my kettle lid? Also, what kind of sprayer/head do I put on the inside?

I just bought one of those tiny little pumps off Amazon for this very thing. I guess I am going to need to put a hole in my kettle lid? Also, what kind of sprayer/head do I put on the inside?

No need to go through the lid. I simply use a shop clamp to hold my tee to the kettle and run a hose down to the mash. I found having the return through the lid to be cumbersome. This will be true for you too if you use an immersion chiller. But even when I use my plate chiller I always seem to have a reason to run the pump without the lid on.

No need to go through the lid. I simply use a shop clamp to hold my tee to the kettle and run a hose down to the mash. I found having the return through the lid to be cumbersome. This will be true for you too if you use an immersion chiller. But even when I use my plate chiller I always seem to have a reason to run the pump without the lid on.

so you don't loose too much heat this way?

so you don't loose too much heat this way?

Nope. Sure, the controller probably kicks the heat source on more frequently without a lid, but no big deal.

Now, I say all this assuming that you're recirculating because you're using some type of controller to maintain the mash temperature. If you're not, there's no real need to recirculate because that will just accelerate your heat loss.

I also need to have a disclaimer that I recently switched to using a mash cap, which acts like a floating lid. But under normal circumstances I've no qualms about not using a lid or mash cap.

Another good reason to restrict flow - you can pull wort out of the pot faster than it filters back through the grains and run the pump dry and/or if you have a heating element in there and expose it allowing it to burn whatever is on the element and potentially crack your element. A lot of factors can be considered..but just keep an eye on wort levels inside your bag and outside and make sure its not pumping it out faster than its being replaced.

mind sharing link to pump and how does it work?

If you are recirculating and believe in hot side aeration, don't spray, just return to the top of the grain bed without splashing.

mind sharing link to pump and how does it work?

If you are recirculating and believe in hot side aeration, don't spray, just return to the top of the grain bed without splashing.

Here is the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G305PK0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used in once. Was very happy with it. It is not self priming, so it has to start below the kettle, but other than that, real happy with it. I used it for re-circulation duing both the mash and the cool down and also used it to move the wort to the fermenter. First time re-circulating during the cool down and I was amazed how quickly the wort cooled with the immersion chiller. Was actually able to watch the thermometer drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back