Question about Primary fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneb_2000

Reaction score
Hey,

I just picked up a home brew kit which consist of a plastic pail used for the primary fermentor and a glass carboy for secondary fermentor. The instruction state in capitol letters DO NOT SNAP THE LID ON THE PAIL. Does this seem right, whats the point of super sterlizing it when its not air tight?

Does the lid have a hole for an airlock?
If it does, then I cannot see any point in the warning.
If it doesn't, wou don't want to snap the lid on as pressure will rapidly build up until something gives. You don't want this to happen.

-a.

The bucket does not have a hole of an airlock. Is there an advantage of getting one that does rather then not having it snap on? Or even better getting a second carboy to do the primary fermenting in?

First of all, welcome to HBT! :mug:
I don't know why you wouldn't snap the lid onto the bucket. For one it seals the fermenter so you can see the air lock activity. It probably wouldn't hurt to leave it loose so long as there are no air gaps for creatures like fruit flies to get in. CO2 produced during fermentation will blanket the beer protecting it

Another thought. Is the lid for the bucket drilled for an air lock? If it isn't you would definitely not want to snap the lid on because the CO2 produced would violently blow the lid off potentially causing a lot of damage or even injuries to anything near it.

Can you describe the plastic fermenter you got with the kit?

shaneb_2000 said:
The bucket does not have a hole of an airlock. Is there an advantage of getting one that does rather then not having it snap on? Or even better getting a second carboy to do the primary fermenting in?
You need to drill a hole and insert a grommet into the lid. You can then install an air lock onto the lid.
I'm not sure why they didn't do this for you.
EDIT: See the plastic fermenter in the center of the photo. You can see the air lock inserted into the lid.

basickit.jpg

If you haven't used the bucket, and you got it locally, you should be able to change it for a drilled lid.
Drilling a hole and inserting a grommet is also easy, but you have to get the grommet, and have the right size drill bit.
Getting another carboy is even better as you can have two brews in primary at the same time. :D (but if you go that route, you should get a 6.5g carboy or be prepared to handle blow-offs)

-a.

You also can go to almost any LHBS and just buy a grommeted lid, I've seen them for like...$2 or less. But you definitely want a grommeted lid so you can put an airlock on there.

Latest posts

Back