Question about "floaters"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan8379

Reaction score
I know that I've read that some particles, yeast, etc floating in the beer isn't a problem, and I've had some in some of my home brews but nothing excessive. However, tonight I opened a can from a local brewery and poured into a glass and have never seen so much debris in a beer. It was an IPA and I could barely see through it due to everything floating in it. Is there a point where it's not safe to drink with too much in the beer?

Had this happen to me a few weeks ago. Pretty sure none of it could make you sick, but it kinda takes away from enjoying a beer when its got pieces floating around the glass. I took my 6 pack back and got a refund.

No, this was definitely more than yeast. I am always very careful when pouring and after letting the glass sit for awhile none of it was settling.

It can't hurt you, unless there is something besides beer in the bottles.

There are some unfiltered commercial beers. They usually don't have much sediment in the bottles. But they need to be treated like homebrew. Leave the bottles upright. If they get shaken up you need to leave them alone for a couple of days. Chill for at least overnight. Pour into a glass very carefully, leaving a little behind in the bottom of the bottle.

Unless it was a New England IPA. Then it is supposed to be cloudy, though there shouldn't be any "chunks".

Back