Question about Elderberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedion

Reaction score
Hi all, I don't have much experience in winemaking, but I recently found a patch of elderberries and wanted to give it a go but I have a concern in regard to making wine with these. I was wondering how the wine process deals with the cyanide-inducing glycosides found in the berries. Heating is said to remove these glycosides, but every recipe I find for elderberry wine either only heats the water sugar mixture or nothing at all. Does fermentation itself somehow eliminate the toxicity, or is it a good idea to heat/boil the juice before fermentation?

Cheers!

I think you're fine. I've not heated the berries and had no problems, not even the tounge tingling of eating the berries

Hi all, I don't have much experience in winemaking, but I recently found a patch of elderberries and wanted to give it a go but I have a concern in regard to making wine with these. I was wondering how the wine process deals with the cyanide-inducing glycosides found in the berries. Heating is said to remove these glycosides, but every recipe I find for elderberry wine either only heats the water sugar mixture or nothing at all. Does fermentation itself somehow eliminate the toxicity, or is it a good idea to heat/boil the juice before fermentation?

Cheers!

I steam juice elderberries. I've made jelly, wine & mead with the juice, never had any issues.
Regards, GF.

My ornamentals were plants from Proven Winners. My Marge were just from cuttings I sent away for. They like sun; they're not too fussy about soil.

I got some cuttings (twice) from a friend but neither time was I able to cultivate them. I thought that perhaps the soil we have (quite clayey) was the problem, but you suggest that that is not the issue... and the cuttings were planted in full sun... I may have to go to a nursery and see what they have. Thanks

Latest posts

Back