Question about building a Randall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave73ok

Reaction score
Hey gang,
So I have everything I need to build a Randall except for the often mentioned steel tube in the middle. My question is, a 10" chunk of blowoff tube would fit perfectly on the filter housing I got. If I were to drill some 1/16 or so holes in the bottom third of the tube, would it work? It's a pretty rigid piece, and I don't know if the pressure that is going to be used in the Randall would crush the tube.
Has anyone attempted this? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hey gang,
So I have everything I need to build a Randall except for the often mentioned steel tube in the middle. My question is, a 10" chunk of blowoff tube would fit perfectly on the filter housing I got. If I were to drill some 1/16 or so holes in the bottom third of the tube, would it work? It's a pretty rigid piece, and I don't know if the pressure that is going to be used in the Randall would crush the tube.
Has anyone attempted this? Any thoughts? Thanks.

The pressure inside the tube and the pressure outside the tube will be the same, so nothing will be crushed.

That was my thought. I guess I will just have to assemble it and find out the rest for myself! :mug:

If I would have thought this up a couple of weeks ago, I'd be set. I scored a cheap local keg that was being used as a lamp. I had one of our maintenance guys take this plasma cutter to it, and I think he tossed the innards. I should ask him!
But the blowoff tube, which I cut to around 10.5", was a perfect, snug fit. It should work until I get another tube.

I think it was in northern brewer they showed that a hydrometer tube cut down to fit the housing with holes in it would work good too. I was gonna go that route before I looked at the dip tubes wondering what to do with them

Back