Question about beer categories?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrabstein

Reaction score
Sup y'all,

I'm thinking of entering my Strong Scotch Ale into the upcoming NHC competition.

My question is whether I should enter it into Smoke flavored beer category or the Strong Scotch Ale category. I added .25 lb of peated malt to the 5 gal. batch, so it definitely has some smoke flavor to it, and I'm not exactly sure whether the judges will be looking for smoke flavor in a strong scotch ale. I've never entered my beers into a competition before, so any advice would be cool. peace

Yes judges look for smoke in Scotch Ales. From what I have heard they expect too much smoked character. Enter it in the Strong Scotch Ale category.

Enter it as the Strong Scotch Ale. A little bit of peat is acceptable within the guidlines:

BJCP.com said:
Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt, with up to 3% roasted barley. May use some crystal malt for color adjustment; sweetness usually comes not from crystal malts rather from low hopping, high mash temperatures, and kettle caramelization. A small proportion of smoked malt may add depth, though a peaty character (sometimes perceived as earthy or smoky) may also originate from the yeast and native water. Hop presence is minimal, although English varieties are most authentic. Fairly soft water is typical.

BigB, nice signature! haha.

I think I'm entering my witbier into two different categories because I don't know which one to enter it into. I tasted a belgian abbey beer the other day and it tasted very very similar to my witbier, so I might enter the same beer in two categories. Is that not very smart?

BigB, nice signature! haha.

I think I'm entering my witbier into two different categories because I don't know which one to enter it into. I tasted a belgian abbey beer the other day and it tasted very very similar to my witbier, so I might enter the same beer in two categories. Is that not very smart?

That is usually explicitly against the rules in most competitions, although enforcement-wise I seriously doubt they can or will do anything about it.

Like weird said, that is typically against the rules. But also when you are competing, part of the idea is to brew to style. If your witbier tastes like a blonde (I know you said abbey, but abbey isn't a reference to a BJCP style-many associate abbey to mean blonde thanks to Leffe and Affligem), that may be fine. But the question remains, are they really that similar in terms of mouthfeel, color, clarity? Do they really taste the same, or do you just taste similar notes in them? If you enter a witbier in a blonde category, your score will likely suffer because it isn't a blonde. Review the BJCP guidelines and ask yourself if your beer really fits the definition of the category you want to enter. You may have a fantastic tasting beer, and may even be the best tasting beer of the show, but if it doesn't fit the style you enter, the judges will catch it and your score will suffer.

You should read the rules but I find that usually entering the same beer in multiple categories is allowed and it is at the NHC.

Back