Question about 10-gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birome Brewer

Reaction score
I'm still pretty new to AG brewing. I've done three kits so far. I'm looking at doing a ten gallon batch next. I usually get the recipe kits from Austin Homebrew. My favorite that I've done so far is their Texas Red. The kit comes as a five gallon batch. Is making a 10-gallon batch as simple as doubling the quantity of ingredients in the 5-gallon batch? Do I need to account for decreased efficiency? Do you double the hops used? Use two packages of yeast? Should I increase the boil time?

Thanks.

The malt should scale directly for this, but the hops won't. You'll need brewing software to really calculate it out. I think you'll need fewer hops than double, but I'm not positive.

As for decreased efficiency, it depends on your system and how well it can handle the amount of malt. It'll probably go down a little bit, but I don't know.

I would double the yeast, but not increase the boil time.

I put it into BeerSmith, and it did double all the grains and basically doubled the hops. The original called for 2 oz of Crystal at 60, 1 oz at 15, and 1 oz at 5. After scaling it, it called for 3.91, 1.96, and 1.96.

Wish me luck....oh and I am open to any suggestions one might have when doing my first 10-gallon batch.

Thanks.

i did my first 10 gallon last week. easy as pie on my setup, holds temp better, better draining from the boil pot (more pressure at beginning.) took just as much time, too...makes me think i should skip doing 5 gallon batches alltogether.

hope you get the same results! :mug:

i did my first 10 gallon last week. easy as pie on my setup, holds temp better, better draining from the boil pot (more pressure at beginning.) took just as much time, too...makes me think i should skip doing 5 gallon batches alltogether.
Did you ferment it in a 10 gallon bucket, or in 2 separate containers?

Brewing 10 gallon batches rocks. Until it comes time to lift the keggle up high enough to drain to primary!

Doubling everything is not going to be exactly correct, but it's close enough that you will likely not notice any difference at all.

Did you ferment it in a 10 gallon bucket, or in 2 separate containers?

2 - 6.5 gallon carboys. that part was kind of odd. i split them unevenly (my boil was WAY too vigorous and i haven't marked my 120 QT kettle yet) and topped off one of them. The other i'm going to dilute down after it's been filtered. That's why i currently have two cream ales in my sig :D

Back