Qs about conversion, batch-sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohanbrau

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a noob to partial-mash brewing, but have been extract brewing for 21 years, so I understand the theory thoroughly but I don't have any experience to fall back on.

Question #1:
I've done 3 partial-mash batches, using a 3-gallon Gott cooler, and achieved complete conversion with the first batch, but not the last two. I'm mashing from 3-6 lbs of fully modified pale or lightly kilned (Munich, Cara-pils) malt with 1.375 qts of water per pound of grist with a single-infusion at 152 deg F. On my last batch, for a maibock, I tested for saccharification with iodine after 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and 60 minutes. At 45 minutes, the temperature had dropped to 148, so I added .8 qts of boiling water to bring it back to 152.

Even after 60 minutes, the iodine still turned blue/black, although it was orange-ish around the edges. Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong and should be doing instead? Thinner mash? Higher mash temp? Since I was going to be using 8# of LME in the brewpot, I just went ahead and sparged.

I guess I should mention that I'm using a grain bag and batch sparging in the cooler. I can see where that might affect my extract efficiency, but not the actual conversion process, right? I'm very careful to poor my mash-in water into the bag and thorough stir my grist, so I'm confident I don't have pockets of dry grain that might be leaching starch into the liquor.

Which brings finally me to Question 2:
If anybody has any thoughts or experiences with batch sparging a partial mash to share, I'd like to hear them. The simplicity of not messing with a false bottom and stuck mashes and a hot liquor tank and sparge arms and sparging rates, the economy of not converting the cooler, the ease of clean-up with the grain bag, the advantages seem to go on and on. What's the downside? I can compensate for lower extract efficiency with a couple of dollars' worth of extra malt.

Sorry for the long-winded questions. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

It can take upwards of 90 min for total conversion, so I don't think your doing any thing wrong. A low mash temp like 152F is also going to delay things. You could try a stepped mash like 150F for 30 min then infuse to hit 158F until completion. Though that is a lot more work. I would suggest mashing at 156F.

A lot of times an iodine test can be tough to judge. I may be wrong, but it seems like having particles of grain in the test makes a reaction, even when your very near full conversion. I put a few drops of wort on a tea plate and let it cool, then tip it so the clear liquid can run away from any grit to get a clear sample. I hope that makes sense.
Some folks use a piece of sidewalk chalk as a substrate for an iodine test. Check out Braukaiser.com.

If you have a cooler you can convert, slap a $5 braid on it and batch sparge. It is worth trying. The down side to BIAB vs no sparge in a cooler with a braid is that you need a bag. With a braid you can sparge, or do no sparge. basically the braid replaces the bag.
And you don't need a sparge arm, a tube will be just fine.

regarding your conversion test...

I had a batch one night where I thought conversion was not taking place, even after 90 minutes of perfectly held 150*F mash.

It turns out that my problem was that I was getting bits of husks in my sample and they were reacting with the iodine to cause it to turn black. If I took a sample of work and let it settle out so that I could get just the liquid and no chunks, then it showed that conversion was complete.

It turns out that my problem was that I was getting bits of husks in my sample and they were reacting with the iodine to cause it to turn black. If I took a sample of work and let it settle out so that I could get just the liquid and no chunks, then it showed that conversion was complete.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing happened to me, but wasn't sure that it worked that way. Is there some starch in the husk that is not convertable?

Thanks for the quick responses. This is very helpful. I didn't let the sample cool, nor did I attempt to separate the grits from the liquid. I tasted a second sample, and it was unbelievably sweet, so I went ahead and sparged. Not the most scientific test, but my previous batch that also failed the iodine test turned out awesome, so I figured I was safe.

Thanks again for the help.

Back