Pyment Prediciment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifesnotfare

Reaction score
So, first thread. I've visited (lurked) this site over the last few years as I gather some quick information on a topic to decide between techniques and other things. I haven't started a new batch in some time though, and yesterday my FIL drops about 40 pounds of Mustang Grapes off. He wants to relive the glory days of his Father's and Grandfather's Mustang Wine Recipes. Me being a mead guy, automatically jump to a making a Pyment. Due to the acidity of the grapes, and not really using grapes or making a true wine before, I'm looking for some advice (hopefully tried and true) on controlling the acidity throughout the process. Initially, I'll be using about 20 pounds of the grapes (pasteurized), about 15 pounds of honey, and topping off to about 6 or 6.5 for fermentation under some D47 with OG at about 1.120 (swmbo likes it sweet, and I'll get there with sugar if it comes up short). Later, it'll be broken down for some smaller batch experimentation.

Does the dilution seem sufficient for addressing acidity?
What techniques has anybody used for keeping T.A. in check throughout?
Any ideas for the other 20 pounds for a straight 'stang wine? (I know wine thread) but any projected differences in controlling acidity between the pyment vs. wine?

why cook the grapes? If you are concerned about wild yeasts simply add K-meta 24 hours before you pitch the yeast.
You are concerned about acidity. What is the pH of the juice? (TA deals with flavor - and the amount of acids in the wine; pH deals with the strength of the acids and how that might affect the yeast and fermentation - two related but quite different metrics)

I like to cook lol I'm a big fan of minimizing chemicals, just a preference, plus I feel like it give me more control. I like to be involved and make things take forever lol. I guess I was assimilating the acidity to PH problems when the TA mostly effects the taste? like I said never dealt with wild grapes before, or grapes in general for that matter. It's going now though. used the other 15 lbs and some sugar and water to start up some straight wine too which I did use chemicals on. Things appear to be going well enough so far, gonna have to wait to taste when racking though. Thanks for the insight. If anyone is interested about what I've done with this particular recipe, let me know I think I've got some pictures and whatnot that I can start posting here.

Yeah I got some info from the jack Keller website too. Seemed simple enough explanation, and a good resource to get you started. I didn't test TA due to lack of testing equipment. Like I said never worked with grapes before and was surprised with the grapes being dropped off. Wish I would've ran to lhbs so I'd have the measurements though. The jack Keller site talks about dilution to tame the wild grape tart. I used one of his recipes to come up with a dilution that should be close and replaced the sugar poundage with honey.

Back