American IPA Purring Kitten Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I would love to hear your experiences and pointers. I have at least two other beers slotted ahead of this right now, but I will definitely plan to make something like this early next year.

For sure. The tricky thing for me on the pro level is this beer is pretty money on 006 and I have yet to brew it on 001 where I was really impressed. Given that we'll be starting out with 090 or 001, 500, a saison blend, and 013 or 028 for the first few waves of beers, SIPA might be on the back burner. I tried it on 028 again with Citra, Equinox, & Lemondrop and it didn't hold a candle to the side on 006.

Feel free to message our brewery FB account anytime though for recipes or anything else. I don't check HBT as often as I should. :mug:

I think I got a pilot on 001 semi-close to where I want this beer.

Batch was 10.5 gal and split on 001 & 100% East Coast Custersianus Brett. 80% brewhouse efficiency. IBUs in Rager. Hop Utilization set at 100%. Mash 154. Ferm on both approx 67. OG 1.048 and finish on both was 1.010. Custers Brett is a pretty fast worker and gives an almost British character to it.

66.2% Rahr 2-row
14.4 Weyermann Vienna
5.8 Flaked Wheat (was out of malted)
4.3 Simpsons Caramalt
3.6 Great West C-30
2.9 GW C-60
2.9 Flaked Oats

13.4 IBU El Dorado & 2.6 IBU Lemondrop @ First Wort
16.4 Mosaic, 11.5 Equinox, & 8.1 El Dorado @ 15m
2.5 oz Mosaic, 1 El Dorado, .75 Equinox, .75 Lemondrop @ Flameout

Dry Hopped each side with 2 oz Mosaic, 1.5 Equinox, 1 El Dorado, .75 Lemondrop.

My findings so far are that Citra, Equinox, & Lemondrop are a nice option too, but be careful with much Lemondrop with Mosaic. Those two go pretty heavy shampoo for me.

Next time around I might play with subbing Citra in for El D, or something like Centennial or Columbus.

I'll be sure to update when I make another version, whether 10 gallons or 310 gallons. The caveat with being a pro is that I'm playing with hops I have on hand or can get decent amounts of, so subs with sexier varieties on the homebrew level are always worth a try. :)

I did a brew of this with the same grain bill but subbed the hops with Cascades/Centennial for bittering and Crystal for aroma. I forgot to dry hop the but the beer still came out very solid.

I did a brew of this with the same grain bill but subbed the hops with Cascades/Centennial for bittering and Crystal for aroma. I forgot to dry hop the but the beer still came out very solid.

Haha. You definitely made it a fairly different animal. Glad it worked out for you.

I brewed this beer about 2 months ago. Brewed an all grain version and hit all the numbers almost perfectly. The hop aroma was fantastic but had a very bitter aftertaste that lingered. Most SIPA's ive had weren't nearly as bitter on the back end. I'm thinking about trying this again (love the flavor of it) but with just adding hops at flame out instead of the -15 addition. Thoughts?

Everybody's system, process, quality of hops, etc is going to be different. There'd be a couple ways to approach it being too bitter. One would be backing off the hops or putting them in later. Another would be using a less attenuative yeast or mashing higher.

Your hop utilization will definitely depend on how fast you can cool the beer too. Moving to whirlpool should help. You could also play around with steeping some of the hops in the 180's.

I whirlpool and let set for about 20 min before i cool with my CFC. My beer ended up finishing at 1.010 using the 006 yeast. I forgot about the 5 min addition of Hops, so maybe I'll just go with that plus the flame out addition and see how it goes. I would also like to add, that mine was very grassy which I think is pretty normal for a lot of dry hopped beers unless you transfer the beer to another keg afterwards (I dont). Overall I do like this beer, I'm gonna brew again this weekend I think.

I'll be brewing it this weekend but don't have the right version #2 ingredients. So here's what I can come up with:

2.75 lbs Rahr 2 row
2.75 lbs Fawcett Marris Otter
1.25 lbs Weyermann Vienna
12 oz Briess Caramel 40L
.5 lbs Great Western White Wheat malt
4 oz Briess Aromatic
4 oz Weyermann Carafoam

I can go all Rahr 2 row or all Marris Otter, any suggestions?

Hops I have:
FW= Warrior
Bittering/Flavor= Cascade, Centennial, Citra, Columbus, Huell Mellon and Amarillo.
Any suggestions how to combine these?

Yeast would be WL 002

I'd go all 2-row. Your flavor hops look good. I'd lean more towards the Citra & Amarillo for aroma, but I'd drink that combo no matter how you do it.

I brewed this again and skipped the First Wort Hop addition to decrease the bitterness that lingered in my first batch. I also replaced the 006 with 002 since my HBS was out of 006. This version came out pretty clean but still has a residual bitterness I want to get rid of. I'm gonna go to a 5 min hop addition but combine with the same amount of hops in the 15min and of course the flame out addition.

Back