Purpose of temperature probe in glycol bath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgreen7

Reaction score
I'm building a DIY glycol chiller and i keep seeing people putting a temperature probe into the glycol bath. I feel like this is a dumb question, but what's the purpose of the probe in the bath? I assume that i want to have my probe in the thermowell of the conical and that's it.

Two temperature controllers:
1 runs the glycol chiller (window ac unit in my case) to maintain glycol temp in the reservoir (35*F in my case). Therefore- probe in the glycol.

2nd one runs a pump that pushes the glycol through the conical chilling coil and back to the glycol reservoir with the probe in the conical thermowell. This one is set for your desired beer / fermentation temperature.

Two temperature controllers:
1 runs the glycol chiller (window ac unit in my case) to maintain glycol temp in the reservoir (35*F in my case). Therefore- probe in the glycol.

2nd one runs a pump that pushes the glycol through the conical chilling coil and back to the glycol reservoir with the probe in the conical thermowell. This one is set for your desired beer / fermentation temperature.
Appreciate it!

If i'm not consistently brewing, should i continue to keep the chiller plugged in and cycling to prevent any sort of fungal or bacterial growth in the cooler?

If i'm not consistently brewing, should i continue to keep the chiller plugged in and cycling to prevent any sort of fungal or bacterial growth in the cooler?

I’ve been lucky enough to have my CF10 full consistently so far and haven’t run into this dilemma.... until now. So hopefully someone experienced will answer cause I’m curious as well.

Keep mine running all the time, I keep it set at 32 degrees, when it’s time to cold crash I lower it to 25 degrees f

Back