Purging with fermentation gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be possible to purge a star San filled keg with gas created during fermentation?

My plan would be to hook my blow off line to the gas in post on a filled keg. Then hook up another line from the out post to an empty bucket/ keg.

Anyone try this? Could this be done?

I like where your mind is going friend. I've been looking for a way to do this myself. In Germany many breweries harvest CO2 production and repurpose it somewhere else. The best analogy for how crazy it is how we do things would be this: It's like fermenting your beer, removing the alcohol like a waste product, and then when the process is finished, add industrial ethanol back to the beer again. We dispel one part of the process, and then buy an industrial form of it (usually a product from electrical generation).

But you can't simply plumb it in to another vessel and call it good. A lot of compounds are leaving the fermenter in gas that we do not want in our beer. The gas would need to be cleaned up with a filter that can handle high humidity and but also dry out perfectly well when not in use. I've considered some kind of CO2 gas carbon filter or perhaps even a tightly packed water filter put inline to bind up some of these compounds and scrub the gas. I haven't gotten around to testing something like this out yet though.

I will say, if you are in the business of reducing CO2 bottle needs spunding valves are well worth the exploration. You can get out those sulfur compounds out of the beer while also carbing your beer 60-80% of the way using the CO2 from the fermentation. This way your bottled gas simply tops it off. Aside from being more resource conservative, ester production is slightly restrained, fermentation completes faster from fluidic convection, and volatile aromas from hops are retained in solution better. There is a research facility in the hop capital of Yakima that spunds all their beer for these reasons and it's some of the best beer made in the state.

But you can't simply plumb it in to another vessel and call it good. A lot of compounds are leaving the fermenter in gas that we do not want in our beer. The gas would need to be cleaned up with a filter that can handle high humidity and but also dry out perfectly well when not in use. I've considered some kind of CO2 gas carbon filter or perhaps even a tightly packed water filter put inline to bind up some of these compounds and scrub the gas. I haven't gotten around to testing something like this out yet though.

I hadn’t even given a thought to all of the other gases present.

I just thought that I could purge said keg with the gas produced which contains the hop aroma that would otherwise go to the atmosphere. But, in doing so I would also be collecting those unwanted byproducts of fermentation.

I am doing some research on LoDo techniques, which got my mind wandering. My next process change will be to spund with a few pts left when I transfer to the keg.

Thank you for the share. It has sent me on a bit of a hunt to learn more. There isn't much out there short of a video blurb. They seem to have gone in a very different direction since then.

From the couple booths I found at DrinkTec last fall it seems to require some form of filtration or treatment to separate the CO2 from the other volatiles (bigger molecules). Most designs require larger production to make it worth their while. But there is a small company from India that showcased their unit which can handle the 3000 BBL and up brewery.

I've been using CO2 to help purge the keg and have had no issues. First, I clean and sanitize, then do a bit of pre-purging with CO2 to get most of the O2 out. After that I hook it up inline with my primary and let the yeast do the rest of my purging. Seems to work pretty well.

20180129_043243.jpg

I wonder if you even need to throw any CO2 into the keg. The yeast would pull it all up slower than in the headspace, which is only about 30 minutes, but the gas would equalize and purge itself probably in a matter of hours.

I've been using CO2 to help purge the keg and have had no issues. First, I clean and sanitize, then do a bit of pre-purging with CO2 to get most of the O2 out. After that I hook it up inline with my primary and let the yeast do the rest of my purging. Seems to work pretty well.

View attachment 558852
Did u push the sanitizer out with CO2 or fermentation gas?

My plan is to do the latter

Did u push the sanitizer out with CO2 or fermentation gas?

My plan is to do the latter

I used CO2 to empty the keg (I also inverted the keg and pulled the PR valve to get the last bits of Starsan out) before putting it inline off the fermenter.

Last edited:
This from memory, but I think it's pretty close.

A beer going from about 1.060 to 1.015 would produce about 25 volumes of CO2. That would be enough to push virtually all oxygen out of a keg if it started with air.

Could it push out star-san? I'd kind of doubt it. Not that the idea is bad, not at all. What you'll need is an absolutely closed system with no pinhole leaks. It'll require a little effort for that CO2 to push out star-san. It has to push that star san up the dip tube into the liquid out. I don't know how much pressure that would require, but I doubt the offgassing from fermentation would be enough.

Best might be to purge w/ CO2, then use the fermentation gases to clean up what's in the keg.

So I am updating my recent findings:

18 hrs post pitch I had about an inch of Krausen. I filled a keg with starsan and dumped about half into a 5 gallon bucket. Then I sealed the keg with 30 lbs of CO2 then purged the pressure off. I then hooked my blow off line to the gas in post and a line from the liquid out post to the bucket. To my surprise within 2 hrs the gas pushed the remaining star San out of the keg and now I have a purged keg with fermentation gas.

Back