Pumpkin spice addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobeers

Reaction score
Plan on brewing morebeers pumpkin beer later today and the recipe says to add the pumpkin spices in the last few minutes. What would this be, last 2 10 or what? Would adding spices in the beginning and at different points throughout be of benifit? The recipe also calls for 2 tablespoons, would more provide a better taste profile? Thanks!!

Add them in the last 5 minutes. Adding them early in the boil you'll just boil off all the desired aromas. The flavor might stick around but you're looking for a balance of flavor and aroma.

I added 1 tbsp at 5 minutes, and when I racked I added 1/2 tbsp soaked in vodka because the flavor wasn't were I wanted it.

Good chance you'll lose a lot of aroma and flavor of these during primary. So, be prepared at bottling or kegging to add a little more to taste.

I used a spice mix of equal parts cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, and allspice. This is what I added at bottling to taste. I believe I did 1 tbsp in vodka.

For the mixture at boil, I followed the pumpkin pie spice recipes I found online at foodtv with those same spices but in different quantities.

I was talking to my local brewer about their pumpkin ale that's coming out next week a couple days ago. They used crystallized ginger and whole spices. I'll probably try that next time, except for nutmeg. Those are expensive and a little goes a long way.

I added mine early in the boil and my taste before racking to the primary dId not show a lot of the spice in the flavor, I may have to add some at bottling

So I added the spices with five minutes left in the boil. Then I had a boil over as soon as I added it so I added another 1/4 tablespoon to try and hopefully get back to the original two tablespoons. After measuring my final gravity I snuck a quick taste and boy was it good! What are the chances the flavor will diminish as it ferments? And if so should I add another tablespoon when bottleing or kegging?

Taste before transferring from the fermentor, if you want more spice then add probably a 3rd of what you already added. If your bottling at that point you could wait a day before bottling or if kegging just transfer it all.

Back