Pumpkin Blossom Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithStone

Reaction score
I stumbled across this type of honey for sale the other day. It's described as being very sweet and a little hard to come by. I was intrigued, so I started to wonder if anyone had ever used it to make a batch of mead. If so, let me know how it turned out. I'm always up for trying something new.

I've not tried it personally, but I've read where others have used it and been very pleased with it in traditional meads. It is supposed to have a very strong floral aroma. It is also somewhat rare.

If you have a link to a supplier, I'd be interested to try it.

Medsen

Sorry for the belated reply. I didn't look too far into the pumpkin blossom honey, as far as suppliers go. I did see a few places that sold it, but I don't know if it was raw, or how good the quality was. It was also mostly retail bottles that were smaller in size. I've read that it doesn't really give much of a pumpkin taste or aftertaste, but it is a very sweet honey. I imagine any honey that has a good flavor would be worth a try in a mead. I'm sure that eventually I'll experiment with it. If anyone else has had a try with it I would like to hear about their experiences.

if you goto www.whiteoakapiary.com he has pumpkin blossom honey and sells it in bulk (60lb pails or even 55 gal drums) NY grows more pumpkins than any other state so i guess he makes a lot. I've made mead with it and it comes out really nicely. Its not strong like buckwheat bud does have almost a bit of spice to it. Its kinda hard to explain.

Back