Pumpkin Ale Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaehnig

Reaction score
I have read online that pumpkin ales need two weeks in primary, two in the secondary, and 2-4 in the bottle. Does that sound correct?

Next, if I used dry yeast and created a yeast starter with it and the airlock has come to a standstill, should I "stir it shake up" the primary? It's only been three days and I still have 11 to go if it needs to sit in the primary for two weeks.

Third, out of the airlock came vegetable, fruity, and other interesting smells like fresh grass maybe. If my ale does not taste as I planned is there restraints on what I can add when I put it into the secondary?

V/R,
BrewTech

I have read online that pumpkin ales need two weeks in primary, two in the secondary, and 2-4 in the bottle. Does that sound correct?

Next, if I used dry yeast and created a yeast starter with it and the airlock has come to a standstill, should I "stir it shake up" the primary? It's only been three days and I still have 11 to go if it needs to sit in the primary for two weeks.

Third, out of the airlock came vegetable, fruity, and other interesting smells like fresh grass maybe. If my ale does not taste as I planned is there restraints on what I can add when I put it into the secondary?

V/R,
BrewTech

Every fermentation is different, you can't assume exact time frames. Gravity readings are the best judge, if you cant do that move to the secondary several days after the airlock has stopped or slowed to a snails pace. Should be no need to stir it or shake it up, if anything re-pitch more yeast in a few days if nothing happens. Technically, the only restraints you have as to what you can add, is that it needs to be sanitary/sterilized, anything else will ruin the batch. If you want more spices than boil some water with the spices in it, effectively making a spice tea, add it till your satisfied. If you bottle, this can be done when you boil the priming sugar too..

I can add before bottling? That's nice to know. Thank you. I will look more into that!

Latest posts

Back