Pump size for chiller recirculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scriv

Reaction score
Doing a test run today of some new equipment and I realize my California ground water isn't going to get me below 70 with my immersion chiller. So my plan is to run the ground water until it stops cooling then switch to a large cooler with water and a block of ice or two. I'd need a pump to get the water from the cooler through the chiller, I'm thinking a submersible pond pump will work. My question is what gallon per hour pump would I need?

First, I would use crushed I've & water. Better chilling.
Then, get a pump from HF in the 1200 GPH range. Make sure you get one w/o a float switch. You can recirc your chilled water to save waste too.

I am just about to buy this one - PP80006: 800 GPH High Lift Pump, Waterfalls/Ponds/Vertical Hydroponics/Aquaponics - 6' Cord on amazon

Oh, and my plan is to recirculate to a bucket in a cooler. The bucket will contain ice filled beer cans prepared the day before. Recirculating to the bucket will force chill in the bucket and cold water will pour over into the cooler, also filled with ice filled beer cans.

I use one of these:

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/t500-500gph-12-volt

I can run it off a battery or an AC/DC converter. I used a rubbermaid tub filled with ice water to cool ~12 gallons of wort from boil to 65 in ~20 min.

I can hook my cooler to the garden hose or the pump. I think I paid about $20 for the pump.

Wort_cooler.jpg

Back