Pump ed up!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
Finally got around to getting a pump, Chugger. All I can say is WTF was I thinking by not getting one sooner!! brewed a ten gal batch of Vienna Lager yesterday... SOOOO much easier. Heat up strike water and just PUMP it straight into the MT... I even used it to whirpool and cool down the wort faster!!
I thought I would have some priming issues but didnt have one... just open the valve to flood the pump and it will STILL suck from the top to go down into the kettle to Whirlpool...
Silicon hoses and Quick Disconnects made it a snap...:ban::ban::ban:

next up... all electric brewing...

If you guys like me are on the fence about getting one, just GET IT!!

Completely agree! It was such a relief when I started using mine. My body still thanks me every time I brew.

an On/off switch on the unit would have been a nice addition though.. other that that.. love it!

Love my chugger pump! I wired a switch to a gfci outlet on my brew stand to take care of the no switch problem.

I plug a Christmas light remote control into my gcfi outlet to control my pump. Works like a charm. With the whirlpool my cooling times have reduced dramatically. Especially since I've been brewing in 102 degree weather all summer.

1411408062828.jpg

We've got a pair of chugger pumps in our setup and love them. The thing I smacked myself for not getting one sooner was a hop spider. We filter before sending to our plate chiller and the filter would always clog up as we frequently brew heavily hopped IPAs. Got the hop spider and the filter has never clogged since. No more f'ing around with a burning hot filter getting burned. Some of the best money we spent.

I would like to get a plate chiller but have read some horror stories about keeping them clean... so the HS works pretty well? and what kind of filter do you use?

We've got a pair of chugger pumps in our setup and love them. The thing I smacked myself for not getting one sooner was a hop spider. We filter before sending to our plate chiller and the filter would always clog up as we frequently brew heavily hopped IPAs. Got the hop spider and the filter has never clogged since. No more f'ing around with a burning hot filter getting burned. Some of the best money we spent.

I would like to get a plate chiller but have read some horror stories about keeping them clean... so the HS works pretty well? and what kind of filter do you use?

We use this http://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html filter.

Hop spider works incredibly well. We had so much trouble prior to that and since have brewed a PtY clone and had no problems at all. I don't think we'll ever brew a more hoppy beer that that one.

We bought the largest hop spider on this page. http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-Spider-with-seam-welds_p_158.html

We use both but the hop spider does an incredible job on its own so not sure the filter is 100% necessary but keeps the trub down and brightens our beer.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

Back