Pumking clone and vanilla extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirageags

Reaction score
So, im doing a sort of southern tier pumking clone and read in many places to add 2 oz of vanilla extract to the bottling bucket, as that is their "secret ingredient". Does this sound like too much vanilla for 5 gallons, and will that change the amount of sugar i will use like i normally bottle prime? How fermentable is vanilla?

Wow that is a lot of Vanilla, I would not do that. I added 2tsp to a stout which equals .35 oz and it was too much for a Vanilla Stout. I would add 1 tsp and see what you think. I would think you would only want a hint of vanilla in that style of beer. I would also recommend buying actual vanilla extract made as opposed to vanilla flavored extract. There is a noticeable difference in quality and taste and it costs a couple dollars more, but considering how little you actually use it will last a long time.

Back