Proportional and 3-way valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When looking on Amazon, I see several different brands and types of valves. Anyone have recommendations on which ones to get (or to stay away from)?

I am looking for DC, not AC.

Thanks!

I have used Belimo SS ball valves with proportional actuators (1 - 10) volt signal, 24 vdc supply. These are used as control valves in HVAC applications and are usually found for reasonable prices on Ebay. The valves have a removable disc for flow limiting, which when removed will give a 3/8" opening in the ball.
The main question would be what the controller will be, is it capable of proportional voltage or current output, or just binary.
If proportional voltage is available then that is the easiest way, If binary then you need to look at floating control actuator.

I have used Belimo SS ball valves with proportional actuators (1 - 10) volt signal, 24 vdc supply. These are used as control valves in HVAC applications and are usually found for reasonable prices on Ebay. The valves have a removable disc for flow limiting, which when removed will give a 3/8" opening in the ball.
The main question would be what the controller will be, is it capable of proportional voltage or current output, or just binary.
If proportional voltage is available then that is the easiest way, If binary then you need to look at floating control actuator.

Belimo is the end-all, be-all for smaller applications IMO. Now if you start talking 6" and larger I use the Bray.

For homebrew systems the Chinese SS ball valves with 12v actuators for on/off, Belimo's for floating and proportional control work. Solenoid valves are only appropriate for clean water, LP gas, Nat. Gas, O2 ( if cleaned for O2 service), not wort applications.
Now if you talk industrial applications, that is another world with more valve types than there is time to discuss here.

I have some of the US Solid from Amazon with a description of
Motorized Ball Valve- 1/2" Stainless Steel Electrical Ball Valve with Full Port, 9-24V AC/DC and 3 Wire Setup by U.S. Solid

I would provide a link, however the one's I purchased now link to 1/4" ball valve and not 1/2". I tried to find the one I have and I no longer can find it, closest I could find is a 5 wire for connecting lights to show on / off. It would still work and just not use all 5 wires, but it obviously it is not needed.

Now if I were to do it from scratch now, I would go with @BrunDog valves. The valves he sells have a visual status on the valve itself and additionally have a manual control in case something is not working properly on the computer or with Brucontrol. Obviously that should be a very rare case, but it is nice to have that as a just in case. The valves he sells do cost a bit more than the US Solid or the Baco Eng on Amazon. Also I could not find any 3 way outside of what @BrunDog offers. I am still running manual 3 ways, but do want to change out eventually.

Now if I were to do it from scratch now, I would go with @BrunDog valves. The valves he sells have a visual status on the valve itself and additionally have a manual control in case something is not working properly on the computer or with Brucontrol. Obviously that should be a very rare case, but it is nice to have that as a just in case. The valves he sells do cost a bit more than the US Solid or the Baco Eng on Amazon. Also I could not find any 3 way outside of what @BrunDog offers. I am still running manual 3 ways, but do want to change out eventually.

Good to know. Thanks!

Back