Propane jet burner issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I've got a propane burner like this one:

SP2.jpg

It's got two flames. Recently I can't get it to light. I hook up the propane, turn the gas on at the tank, then when I crank the gas at the regulator to light it, it makes a quick "hiss" then nothing. It's like the burner nozzle things are clogged. I know it's not the propane tank because I tried the same tank on another burner and it worked fine.

My question is: is it easy to pop these nozzles off and clean them out? They're basically two little brass nuts with a pin hole in the top for propane to exit. Is there another issue that could be causing the problem? I really like this burner and want to get it fixed before next weekend so I can brew. TIA.

Is it possible that you're tripping the excess flow check valve inside the ACME nut?
That can happen if the regulator valve is opened before the tank valve.
Just in case, the procedure to avoid that is to start with the tank valve closed and the regulator valve closed, screw on the regulator, slowly open the tank valve, then slowly open the regulator.

Otherwise, if the brass jets are threaded into the burner you should be able to remove them and run a fine piece of wire through the orifices...

Cheers!

Is it possible that you're tripping the excess flow check valve inside the ACME nut?
That can happen if the regulator valve is opened before the tank valve.
Just in case, the procedure to avoid that is to start with the tank valve closed and the regulator valve closed, screw on the regulator, slowly open the tank valve, then slowly open the regulator.

Otherwise, if the brass jets are threaded into the burner you should be able to remove them and run a fine piece of wire through the orifices...

Cheers!
Thanks brother. I don't *think* that's the issue because I have the same thing on my big pig cooker. But I'm going to try it again just in case I was just having a brain fart the other day when I was trying it.

Back