Propane burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Well, I got some extra scratch. I want to buy a nice propane burner. I brew 5 gallon batches but who know when I'll upgrade to 10 or 15 gallons. I think I want one of those banjo burners. They look perty.

Has anyone seen this around for a really good price? Or what do you recommend?

I purchased the Blichmann Burner because I thought that I might upgrade to a Top Tier stand. Having said that, I don't see much difference between the Banjo Burner and the Blichman (as far as the burner is concerned). I love that fact that it heats well and that it is quiet. The Banjo burner has the advantage of being less expensive.

Mark

Bought a bayou burner for my 5 gallon brews on amazon for $40. I have had nothing but a good experience with it. If you want to do 10 gallon brews you just might have to see how much weight those stands can hold

I just got a KAB4 Banjo cooker and love it. The large 10" burner spreads the heat better then the smaller burners. I have not scorched my mash since I got my new burner.

Dale4beer said:
I just got a KAB4 Banjo cooker and love it. The large 10" burner spreads the heat better then the smaller burners. I have not scorched my mash since I got my new burner.

I was checking those out too, how much did you get your for?

I got my KAB4 on black friday for $70 from LHS. I would like to buy another but, can not find another that cheap. best i can do now is around $100. well worth it even at $100 bucks

If you're planning to use a keggle, consider the KAB6. It does fit the keg better than the KAB4, but plan on modifying both slightly to adjust burner height. I have the 6 and have seen the 4 in action. Someone else can chime in about other options. If a flat bottom pot, the kab4 would be more than enough.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. I'm looking to spend $70-$80 at most for shipping and all. Less would be better of course. But for what I want, this will work.

I'll check out that Ka6 as well

Dale4beer said:

What size batches are you brewing?

I bought 2 of the 10 jet propane burners from "cajun outdoor cooking" . Think that were like $30 each. I have noticed the dif in how quick i get to temp. here is their website. They have a few other options for propane, as well as natural gas. hope that helped.

http://www.cajun-outdoor-cooking.com/

Kris

618lp-cajun-classic-super-hot-propane-multi-jet-burner-10-jets.jpg

I was checking those out too, how much did you get your for?
+1 on the KAB4. I got it for $85 delivered. Puts out a ridiculous amount of heat if you want it too while also having the ability to maintain a nice, low simmer.

Would the KAB4 be overkill for 5 gallon batches? How is the temp/flame control on it?
Nope, 5 gal batches are all I brew and will ever brew. You can throw an insane amount of heat if required and also maintain a low, gentle simmer using virtually no gas. It is definitely not overkill.

Hi guys, newbie here... I just finished my 3rd brew ever, another 5 gal extract recipe with concentrated wort for the hot break.

I have trouble getting just 1.5 - 2 gallons to a rolling boil on my stove (all I can muster is a lame non-rolling boil :D), so I'm looking into buying a propane burner. For now I'll be boiling concentrated wort, but I could see myself getting into boiling 5 gallon batches at some point...

do you think the Bayou Classic SP10 ($55 on amazon) would be able to handle 5 gal batches? It sounds like it will do the job for the time being (with concentrated boils), but I don't want to waste my money if I decide to start boiling the full 5 gallons. I doubt I will get into boiling anything larger than 5 gallons anytime soon! Would I be better off spending the extra $30 and going for the KAB4 ($86 on amazon)?

Thanks! :mug:

Hi guys, newbie here... I just finished my 3rd brew ever, another 5 gal extract recipe with concentrated wort for the hot break.

I have trouble getting just 1.5 - 2 gallons to a rolling boil on my stove (all I can muster is a lame non-rolling boil :D), so I'm looking into buying a propane burner. For now I'll be boiling concentrated wort, but I could see myself getting into boiling 5 gallon batches at some point...

do you think the Bayou Classic SP10 ($55 on amazon) would be able to handle 5 gal batches? It sounds like it will do the job for the time being (with concentrated boils), but I don't want to waste my money if I decide to start boiling the full 5 gallons. I doubt I will get into boiling anything larger than 5 gallons anytime soon! Would I be better off spending the extra $30 and going for the KAB4 ($86 on amazon)?

Thanks! :mug:

How big is your pot? For around 60-70 dollars you could buy a turkey fryer kit that comes with a 7.5g aluminum pot. Perfect for full 5 gallon extract/steeped grains/partial mash recipe batches and you could even do some all grain with it. It's the first big move many of us made, and a wort chiller. :mug:

Sp10 will work just fine. I use them on my single tier rig and I can get 12 gallons into a boil in no time.

Wow, 12 gallons? I guess I should be able to get 5 gallons boiling no problem. I have a gas/propane range too, the burners are just tiny and don't put out enough heat.

How big is your pot? For around 60-70 dollars you could buy a turkey fryer kit that comes with a 7.5g aluminum pot. Perfect for full 5 gallon extract/steeped grains/partial mash recipe batches and you could even do some all grain with it. It's the first big move many of us made, and a wort chiller. :mug:

My pot is only 5.5 gallon, stainless steel. I just realized this now (I thought it was larger for some reason, but just ran and looked to be sure). My guess is this would not have enough clearance for a full 5 gallon batch...

Do you recommend any fryer kits in particular, or will any do? I had seen one at Wal-Mart a while back for $50, but I'm not too sure about the quality of it.

I've done recipes with specialty grains, but have yet to do any partial mashing/mashing/all grain. Just curious, but why would you need a bigger pot for all-grain? I haven't looked into doing all-grain yet, although the answer is probably obvious haha :confused:

Also, are there any huge drawbacks to going aluminum? My current pot is stainless steel (probably going to look this up right now :D)

Sorry for all over the place questions :D

Wow, 12 gallons? I guess I should be able to get 5 gallons boiling no problem. I have a gas/propane range too, the burners are just tiny and don't put out enough heat.

My pot is only 5.5 gallon, stainless steel. I just realized this now (I thought it was larger for some reason, but just ran and looked to be sure). My guess is this would not have enough clearance for a full 5 gallon batch...

Do you recommend any fryer kits in particular, or will any do? I had seen one at Wal-Mart a while back for $50, but I'm not too sure about the quality of it.

I've done recipes with specialty grains, but have yet to do any partial mashing/mashing/all grain. Just curious, but why would you need a bigger pot for all-grain? I haven't looked into doing all-grain yet, although the answer is probably obvious haha :confused:

Also, are there any huge drawbacks to going aluminum? My current pot is stainless steel (probably going to look this up right now :D)

Hey Msal,

Sorry took so long to get back, my son called me and I had to talk to him. He's a young Marine and I'm a retired Navy man. He was looking to blow off some steam and seek advice.

A 5.5 gallon pot is good for making partial boil extract batches. And there is nohting wrong with extract, don't let anybody tell you there is. The problem claimed with doing 2-3 gallon boils is (I have no experience in this, have always done full boils) from what I have read, a brewer using 2-3 gallons for the boil and then adds enough water to top to 5 gallons in the fermenter; the hops are not fully utilized, something about more water available in the boil produces better hop utilization.

Usually, from what I've read (a worthy) brew supply stores add a few more hops to make up the difference in utilization for extract beers.

Turkey fryer kits. I bought a Bayou Classic propane (they have electric kits too). 30 quart or 7.5 gallon gallon aluminum pot, also included the hose that connects the burner to the propane tank. Propane tank sold separately.

Many new brewers hear aluminum is bad.

Here is a thread from HBT that explains why aluminum is not a health risk. http://https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/

Why do you need a bigger pot for all grain. Ok, when an extract beer is brewed the extract to water amount is pretty much set because the dry or syrup extract has already been made, add the recommend amount of water and it all works out.

All grain is different. All grain means a brewer starts out with whole grains of barley that have been ground up by way of some sort of mill. The "ground" grain is steeped (mashed) in hot water in a temperature determined by what the brewer wants to achieve for his extraction of sugars. Higher mash temps near the 158-160F range will produce an extract (mash) that will not ferment to a low final gravity but give a nice body to the beer. Grain mashed nearer the low 150F will produce an extract(again Mash) that will be able to ferment to a lower gravity, cleaner or drier beer.

Why a bigger boil pot is required. If you extract brew and want to boil all your wort at one time a 7.5 gallon pot is helpful so you'll be capable of brewing all the wort in one pot.

In all grain brewing. During the mashing process a brewer extracts the sugar with a lot of water.The water needs to be boiled away and sugars left. All grain brewers start out with a larger volume of wort and reduce the wort volume by evaporating the water in their mash; they might start out with 8 gallons from (these numbers are not exact, just an example) and boil until only 6.5 gallons are left, this boils off water and increase specific gravity. (sugars left)

The sugar (which is what make the yeast happy) will stay in the brew kettle. An 8 gallon initial volume with a 1.035 (sugar solution) starting gravity before it boils for and hour will more than likely evaporate the water and bring the wort down to 5.5 gallons of 1.040 gravity wort.

I'm not a good teacher. Check out John Palmers' "How to Brew" free on the internet. He'll explain this a hell of a lot better than I can.

I've been using the SP10 burner, and aluminum pots, for 3 years. I would get a nicer burner than what's in fryer kits. You need a big pot because you need 6.4 gallons to boil down to 5gal after 60 minutes. You don't top off, you boil down to your volume. I would suggest a 10gal pot for 5gal brews. I have 8gal and reallly have to watch hot break. I got my aluminum pots off www.instawares.com years ago for around $55 shipped free (8gal and 6gal pot). I use the 6gal for heating up the water. So you could use your pot for that, and get a bigger pot for your kettle.

Dan, thanks for the response! I had come across that same thread as well regarding stainless vs aluminum, after posting originally. My 5.5 gallon stainless is really nice, too bad it's too small.

Also, thanks for the quick overview of all-grain brewing. I've got Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing", which I'm about halfway through. Haven't quite made it to the all-grain section yet but I'll get there :D.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to go with the fryer kit (I found a similar bayou kit for ~$70), or if I'll just pick up an sp10 burner for now, and upgrade my pot at a later date. I don't know how soon I'll be doing full 5 gallon boils, and really like the stainless pots. The sp10 burner seems to be better quality than the ones that come with the kits as well. Either way, I think I know the differences and just need to pick one :D.

I've been using the SP10 burner, and aluminum pots, for 3 years. I would get a nicer burner than what's in fryer kits. You need a big pot because you need 6.4 gallons to boil down to 5gal after 60 minutes. You don't top off, you boil down to your volume. I would suggest a 10gal pot for 5gal brews. I have 8gal and reallly have to watch hot break. I got my aluminum pots off www.instawares.com years ago for around $55 shipped free (8gal and 6gal pot). I use the 6gal for heating up the water. So you could use your pot for that, and get a bigger pot for your kettle.

That's good to know, I think I'm leaning toward the SP10. Just the burner will get me by for now, then I can pick up a new 10 gallon pot at a later date for full boils. I'm not necessarily in a hurry to move away from concentrated boils, although I'm sure I'll make the jump at some point.

Thanks for the advice guys!!

Just bought the bayou 22 in. Sp-40 double jet burner. Going for 160$, got it for 91$. Doing 10-12 gal. boils. Anyone have experience with this burner?

Back