Propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike23508

Reaction score
I'm looking for a burner and I'm wondering which one I should get. Will a turkey fryer burner work well enough or should I spend more and get something like the Darkside burner. Any help is much appreciated

A turkey fryer will do it. It will be slow and inefficient. I don't know if they have fixed it but the Darkstar originally got pretty bad reviews. I see that it is now v2.0

I use a Bayou Classic SP10. It is hotter than the turkey fryer but it is loud. The SQ14 is supposed to be pretty good. I want a Blichmann Hellfire. But they are $150.

I really want to come back inside with an electric rig.

When I brew I enjoy having my wife spend time with me and just talk about things that happened at work etc during the week. I had a turkey fryer that was so loud it was like a jet takeoff. Talking was more like shouting.

I bought a Blichmann burner with leg extensions and dropped $200. So quiet we can talk in normal tones and enjoy together time. Got over 5 brews with the last 20# tank, so this burner will pay for itself in gas savings in a year. Best burner I could hope for.

I used the turkey fryer. It worked, but was slow. I bought a Bayou KAB4 and now I can burn hot and fast or low and slow. I'm happy where I landed.

bayou classic sq14 is a good inexpensive burner at about $40 it pales in comparison to the blichmann burners but for the money it is solid. You can find the blichmanns used occasionally for $100.

bayou classic sq14 is a good inexpensive burner at about $40 it pales in comparison to the blichmann burners but for the money it is solid. You can find the blichmanns used occasionally for $100.

Exactly! I found one on CL for $100 w/legs in a town 200 miles away and I would have gladly driven the distance. However the seller told me it was "sold" immediately after posting so I was on a default list several folks deep if the sale fell thru. Never heard back, BUT keep your eyes on CL. I bought a brand new 20G Blichmann Boil Kettle still new in its box for half of the selling price.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out. I have a burner that is rated at 54,000 btu and it's not the fastest in the world--but it works.

I wouldn't buy a burner that produces less heat than that, and if you can get to 72,000 btu or better, that would be a good thing.

Ask yourself what, six months from now, you're going to wish you'd bought? Put the extra $20-40 into a good burner and then you'll be happy instead of cursing yourself for compromising.

Just watch out, advertised BTU rarely matches actual. The banjo type used in the Blichmann, Bayou KAB4, etc. are around 76k BTU/h real output, IIRC, not the 210k+ BTU/h you see in the advertising hype everywhere.

For comparison, I owned a 265k BTU/h domestic heat natural gas boiler, and when you saw the size of the burner and flames and experienced the heat generated, it is clear a banjo type burner doesn't get even close.

Also, the design and proximation of the windscreen to the kettle is an important and integral part of efficiency, aside from raw BTU output.

Thanks you your help guys.

Mike I was just on Blichmann's website and saw they have burners in stock they will sell direct to consumer since they typically only go thru retailers. The Gen 1 burner is called Top Tier and the Gen 2 burner is Hellfire. I have one of each and both are awesome in my opinion.

They have the Top Tier available (new) as a closeout for $75. This is a heck of a deal if you are so inclined. This burner sits close to the floor meaning if you want gravity draining from your kettle, you'd need the leg kit or sit on a table or rack.

This gives you the opportunity for a premium burner for a heck of a price if so inclined. Look up replacement parts under buy it here header.

I have the Blichmann burner and love it! It's quiet, efficient and handled my keggle and now 20 gallon SS Brewtech kettle without any issues! I started off with a turkey fryer and 7 gallon kettle, which was fine then and I still use the kettle for small batches on the stove (or sometimes on the Blichmann burner). If you can score one for under $100 that's a steal! Get it and run!!!

Im sure Blinkman is a good burner but way overpriced IMO. I bought two bayou Classic burners for my brew rig several years ago they still work great. They were $80 each but can be cheaper when on sale. It is a high pressure propane, 10" banjo burner that can be converted to Natural gas. I regularly brew 15- 20 gallon batches without issues. They can be made to boil faster with less propane with two mods.

Mike I was just on Blichmann's website and saw they have burners in stock they will sell direct to consumer since they typically only go thru retailers. The Gen 1 burner is called Top Tier and the Gen 2 burner is Hellfire. I have one of each and both are awesome in my opinion.

They have the Top Tier available (new) as a closeout for $75. This is a heck of a deal if you are so inclined. This burner sits close to the floor meaning if you want gravity draining from your kettle, you'd need the leg kit or sit on a table or rack.

This gives you the opportunity for a premium burner for a heck of a price if so inclined. Look up replacement parts under buy it here header.

A $75 Top-tier? New? That's a steal.

The legs are about $45 IIRC, and it should be very similar to a Hellfire, if not the same thing.

The Hellfire has a "patent-pending" shield that protects the valves/thermometers. It's a piece of either thin-gauge steel or aluminum you could fashion yourself for about $5.

I'm going to tell a buddy of mine about this, you aren't going to do better IMO. I have over $200 in my Hellfire with the leg extensions.

Unless you have a pump or can put the Top Tier on a brew stand or other non-flammable table/stand, you'll want the legs. Trust me. :)

A $75 Top-tier? New? That's a steal.

The legs are about $45 IIRC, and it should be very similar to a Hellfire, if not the same thing.

The Hellfire has a "patent-pending" shield that protects the valves/thermometers. It's a piece of either thin-gauge steel or aluminum you could fashion yourself for about $5.

I'm going to tell a buddy of mine about this, you aren't going to do better IMO. I have over $200 in my Hellfire with the leg extensions.

Unless you have a pump or can put the Top Tier on a brew stand or other non-flammable table/stand, you'll want the legs. Trust me. :)

I see the Top Tier for $75, leg ext for $45 and the "new" heat shield for the Top Tier is $10....all on the Blichmann website under replacement parts. DEAL your buddy can't mess up on.

The new heat shield also for the Top Tier-make sure he gets correct one. Leg Ext for Top Tier as well since the Hellfire is not compatible. If the truth be known, I would not turn around for the difference in the Hellfire and the Top Tier.

Back