Propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptBrew8386

Reaction score
Approximately how much propane should I expect to use to boil 5gal of wort?

I have about 3/4 of a tank on my grill. I would assume that's more than enough...?

That should be plenty. Although it depends on how efficient your setup is at transferring the heat from the burner to the pot, eg. windscreen to block wind, etc.

I can usually get 3 full (5gal) batches done with one standard propane tank. But I do have a back up tank, because I did run out once at the 20min mark.
That was brutal. I usually just fill it up (not trade) at the station up the street after two batches to be on the safe side.
So...long winded story aside...you should be fine.

I just bought one a few months ago from Amazon. $49 w/free shipping. LOVE IT.

Yea that should be enough. BUT GET A BACK UP TANK. ALWAYS HAVE A FULL TANK ON HAND. It's a ***** when you run out of gas and have to drive miles for a refill. LOL

You will be just fine. I get 5-7 all-grain five gallon batches per tank. I also recommend coughing up the cash for a backup tank as well as getting them filled vs exchanging. I pay around $11-$13 to refill a tank vs almost $20 to exchange. I have not verified this, but I am told the exchange is not as complete of a fill as a refill either.

Very good! I too have always refilled. At least until the tank reaches it's next inspection date. I'll definitely look into getting a second tank!

Can't wait to try out this new burner!

I just bought one a few months ago from Amazon. $49 w/free shipping. LOVE IT.

Yea that should be enough. BUT GET A BACK UP TANK. ALWAYS HAVE A FULL TANK ON HAND. It's a ***** when you run out of gas and have to drive miles for a refill. LOL

That right there is a good enough reason not to drink heavily during brew days.

And to reiterate, the type of burner is the key. My friends have the bayou burner and get about 2-3 five gallon batches. With my Blichmann I get 7-8.

You will be just fine. I get 5-7 all-grain five gallon batches per tank. I also recommend coughing up the cash for a backup tank as well as getting them filled vs exchanging. I pay around $11-$13 to refill a tank vs almost $20 to exchange. I have not verified this, but I am told the exchange is not as complete of a fill as a refill either.

Refills are 20 lbs, exchanges are 12 to 15. Ripoffs.

Back