Propane burner problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlkiBrewing

Reaction score
Brewed another batch of Centennial Blonde yesterday. For some reason the burner (Blichmann Floor Burner) wouldn't put out enough BTU's to bring the wort, just under 7 gallons), to a rolling boil. The best it would do is just barely come to a boil. The propane tank was a little over half full. I switched out propane tanks and that didn't help. Tried adjusting the airflow/intake still wouldn't increase the BTU output. I'm thinking it must be the regulator but don't know of any way to check/test it. I've brewed around 20 or so batches with this burner and have never had any issues. Anybody have thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Brewed another batch of Centennial Blonde yesterday. For some reason the burner (Blichmann Floor Burner) wouldn't put out enough BTU's to bring the wort, just under 7 gallons), to a rolling boil. The best it would do is just barely come to a boil. The propane tank was a little over half full. I switched out propane tanks and that didn't help. Tried adjusting the airflow/intake still wouldn't increase the BTU output. I'm thinking it must be the regulator but don't know of any way to check/test it. I've brewed around 20 or so batches with this burner and have never had any issues. Anybody have thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

you may want to contact blichmann and ask if this is something that occurs often. It might not be and they could replace parts, or it might be common and they can tell you exactly how to fix it. I have the 210,000 btu bayou classic and had this happen to me once. I thought the propane was just done, but I unscrewed it and put it back on and it started back up like normal

I don't know if Blichmann regulators work the same but on others you must open the tank first then the regulator. Could that be the problem?
The other thing to look for is cleaning the burner.

Thanks for the input. I just looked at the owners manual and it does say to have the regulator turned off and to open the tank valve first then the regulator. I think that's the sequence I always follow but who knows maybe I didn't yesterday. I'll get the burner out and connect to the tank making sure to open the valves in the proper sequence. Can't do it today as we have 50 mph sustained wind now. Glad I brewed yesterday! If the burner still doesn't crank up I'll contact Blichmann. Thanks again for the feedback.

kh54s10 said:
I don't know if Blichmann regulators work the same but on others you must open the tank first then the regulator. Could that be the problem?
The other thing to look for is cleaning the burner.

This sounds like the culprit. It's a safety on the newer tanks. I guess they aren't so new any more. If the tank valve is opened without another line connected, whose regulator has to be off, the tank valve will not open all the way. Connect the burner to the tank, open the burner valve to make sure there is no pressure in the line. Now turn off the burner valve all the way. Turn on the tank then the burner regulator and light the burner. All should be good.
If not ill buy it from you for 5 bucks...HaHa.

Billsbrew, thanks for the info. I wouldn't have thought to purge the regulator/burner line. I'll drag it out tomorrow and give it a try.

Good luck. I know this has happened to me with my grill so it's probably the same for you.

Just thought I'd post an update. Yesterday I went and had one of the propane tanks topped off. Brought it home, hooked it up, followed the correct sequence of opening the propane tank and turning the regulator on. Same store, very weak and non-adjustable flame. I contacted Blichmann via. Email and gave them the rundown. They said that I had done everything that they would have suggested as far as troubleshooting goes. They said if I knew somebody else with a Blichmann to borrow their regulator and try it, if not buy a new regulator. Their regulators are specific to their burners so you have to buy one of theirs so I ordered one today ($30.00) through my LHBS. I have a Blichmann 10 gallon Boilermaker and like it. I think they make high quality equipment. The regulator however is made in China so it's the weak link, too bad. I'd buy another burner but then I'd just have the Blichmann sitting around. Not real happy with the situation. Thanks everybody for you input this a great forum.

finsfan said:
Im surprised they didnt replace it for you

I thought they might too. I would have been fine with sending them the one I have and even paying for the shipping but they didn't offer or suggest anything like that.

Back