Propane burner issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWBrew

Reaction score
I'm having an issue with a new burner I purchased and looking for some ideas.

I bought a Concord banjo burner that is supposed to produce 110,000 BTU's. Yesterday I put it together and put 3 gallons of water in my kettle to test the burner out.

My old burner was only rated for 40,000 BTU's so I was expecting a much quicker boil. Instead after almost 30 minutes the water had only reached 130 degrees. I had the valve on the tank and the regulator wide open. There was flame but it didn't seem extremely high.

The plastic connector that attaches to the tank did have a small piece broken off of it at the point where it attaches to the hose. I am considering contacting the seller about this. I wonder if I'm leaking some propane at the spot which is causing my issue. I tested for leaks with soap bubbles and didn't see anything.

Any thoughts on what my problem could be?

Thanks

Is the regulator new and matched to the burner? This is propane right? I have a 110k btu and the flame is serious. You can do blacksmithing with it. You should go from cold to boil in much less than 30 minutes.

If your connection was leaking you would know about it because after all that time with a flame it would have ignited. Sounds like a bad regulator or try a different tank.

Regulator was new. I'll try the propane tank off my grill. If issue persists I'll contact seller.

Thanks

So I reconnected the same tank as before with same regulator and it was like night and day. Robust flame boiled in about 25 minutes. Was so hot some of the new paint was burning off which didn't happen before. Not sure what the issue was. I did read on another site that regulators have safety mechanisms built in them and if you turn the gas on too fast and not gradually they can produce low flow. Not sure if that's true or not. But I did turn it on slowly and let the pressure build for a minute before lighting.

Just something to consider. If you accidentally had the burner valve open when you connected the tank to the regulator it will trigger the safety relief valve in the tank resulting in very low flow of gas. Learned that one a long time ago and committed it to memory.

Back