Project Monsterator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I have finally been allowed by the wifey to convert or freezer into a keezer, but I have a stupid noob question and did not want to start a new thread, hope you don't mind. I know a corney is about 23 in tall, but how much room do you need to leave above the keg for hook-ups and lines? I only have a small freezer and will have to make the collar bigger then usual in order to make the kegs fit, or atleast to get more than one or maybe two to fit. Any help on this would be great, and when I get mine started I will start my own thread.

If you have handles on the cornies, the ball lock posts shouldn't
t really stick above them. Pin Locks are taller than that. How much room do you currently have?, And go ahead and start a new thread. Don't clutter this one with OT stuff. This is a Epic Build thread

Oh C'mon JoeC!!!!!

Maybe he's curled up inside his freezer, asleep in a 4 inch pool of his own tears with an empty bottle of Airlock Vodka between his knees......A moment o Silence for the freezer please.....

I hope I'm wrong Joe

What a bummer! I've been following this thread too, and I have a feeling there's going to be a new freezer purchase in Joe's future unfortunately...

Well, the gentleman didn't come until today, so here's what's going on.

the freezer CAN be fixed. Here's a bit of info.

-I pierced a 3/8 evap line that only runs every 4". I hit dead center on it. 1/8 of an inch down and I would've been clear.
-In order to fix it, I will need to tear a 10"x10" hole, remove all of the surrounding insulation, and then bring the guy back in to weld up a new piece.
-He would also need to re-charge the system (which he would need to determine what refridgerant it takes)

The biggest problem is.... IF I got any metal shards within the system it would be crapped out. If that's the case I'm stuck with a $500 bill and a broken freezer

The freezer is 10-20 years old... which is older than I thought it was. The freezer is no longer made but he believes its a kelvinator commercial unit. They have a 20cf freezer, but it's nearly 1,400 dollars and I cannot swing that, nor would I.

My other idea was to find another of the exact same freezer (the 10-20yr old one) and put my lid on top, but the odds of that are as bad as the Powerball.

So I'm basically at a standstill. Bring the guy in again, fix it, and HOPE that it works once all of the work is done, find a new freezer, build a new collar, re-paint, throw this unit away, etc........
....Or just sell it all. I'm honestly contemplating all of the above right now.

When I was looking for a chest freezer for a Keezer candidate I found tons of large chest freezer on Craigslist at a screamin deal they were just to big for what I plan to do. I would look there and find a new unit to take the place of the one you wounded.

Joe C
Man that's a hell of a gamble, and the reason why mine went to the recycler. If the freezer is 10-20 years old I would not spend $500 on it. I also had a commercial bevair 3 door kegerator that blew a compressor, it was $800 to fix it but again was not worth it, it went to the recycler after I harvested the towers, taps, drip trays etc to build my keezer.
For just a little more $ you could have a NEW 20 or 24 cf freezer, and just modify your collar to fit. I know it blows to have put all that time into the dead one. At least all your parts can move to a new one. And you had not painted it plaid yet.
Frigidaire at Lowe's: 24.9 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (Color: White)
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=180052-2251-FCCS201FW&lpage=none
I'm about to have mine skinned in Stainless so the G/F will deal with it in the kitchen.

So basically to weld a new piece and recharge is 500? Seems high, get another estimate. Make the 10 inch cutout and make it available to the new tech that comes out. Maybe someone out there can do it cheaper

The collar was the cheapest part of your build..... I wouldn't make that the fulcrum on which to base your decision.

I'm sure you can find another monster chest freezer with a wanted ad on craigslist.

I would say recycle that one and look for another one - as noted, you can get a new one of that size for that $500. Even if the collar isn't the same size, you could resize the one you have, or grab some new lumber. Hell, if it's a different size, keep the front you have drilled with faucets and build the other three sides.

I put my lines through the collar, and mounted the distributor to the collar as well, that way I wasn't touching anything where the coolant lines were. I did manage, however, to line up the CO2 hose with a hinge, and had to slide the hinge-collar point over two inches.

If there's a scrap yard near by, you may be able to sell them the dead freezer for scrap money, we did that with an ancient water heater.

Best and cheapest idea right there.

Cut a hole in the side and install a room AC

Newbie here, but I'm not so sure....

Even the best room A/C is meant to maintain at most a 40°F differential between the hot and cold sides....(I believe.....)

Assuming your house is at 75°F, that means the coldest you can get is 35°F (Great! no problem!)....but that's assuming it's running at peak efficiency....

Not saying it won't work, I'd just do some research to see if a small unit could maintain the temps you want....

Weld up a new piece? From the sound of it, he should be able to just weld over the hole. Or is he using a new piece with the idea that any metal shards will be removed with the old piece?

Weld up a new piece? From the sound of it, he should be able to just weld over the hole. Or is he using a new piece with the idea that any metal shards will be removed with the old piece?

His idea was to cut out the area around the hole and weld a new piece in place - i believe to also reduce the chances of the metal shards.

I'm debating what to do. This is wacky. Back to brewing... hopefully it'll mellow me out.

His idea was to cut out the area around the hole and weld a new piece in place - i believe to also reduce the chances of the metal shards.

I'm debating what to do. This is wacky. Back to brewing... hopefully it'll mellow me out.

That sounds reasonable. If the line runs horizontally the chips should be contained in a small area. But $500 sounds way to high. Good luck.

Joe if that old tired compressor gives out you will be kicking yourself for spending the money on it. Cut your losses. A new one will have a warranty provided you keep all your drilling in the collar. It will probably be more efficient than that ~15 yr old one, too.

I know... the more I think about it the more it makes sense...

I'll be honest. Money is a bit tight right now. I just bought a condo and it needs my attention, and this is NOT what I wanted to drop another 700 on right now.. the down payment really hurt any extra curricular activity.

We shall see what happens :(

Sorry to here this Joe, but seriously do not pay that much to fix a 10-20 year old freezer. There's no guarantee it will last 2 weeks after you get it fixed and up and running anyway!
It would be easy enough and cheap enough to modify the collar to fit a new freezer. We all feel for you, but would hate to see you spend that kind of money to fix it just to see the compressor die in a short time from age.

Newbie here, but I'm not so sure....

Even the best room A/C is meant to maintain at most a 40°F differential between the hot and cold sides....(I believe.....)

Assuming your house is at 75°F, that means the coldest you can get is 35°F (Great! no problem!)....but that's assuming it's running at peak efficiency....

Not saying it won't work, I'd just do some research to see if a small unit could maintain the temps you want....

There are plenty of examples of folks around this forum building walk in fridges using window AC units. For the relatively small amount of space we are talking about here I'm sure it would work.

they charge 145 an hour.... :( I'm already out 145 today.

:eek: :eek:

As a kid I remember my dad fixing an AC and I'm pretty sure he just used a torch and silver solder. I think I'd try to fix the leak myself and rent a vacuum pump to see if it would hold a vacuum without leaking. If it does then call in the fridge tech to charge it. I'm pretty sure that since it had positive pressure when you hit it that any metal shards would have been blown clear.

+1 (sort of ) to a second opinion, but at the risk of spending another 100-200 bucks for said opinion, you're putting you've then wasted half the money it would cost to buy a brand new Large Chest freezer. I would have to say cut your losses and recycle the old unit.

I just read through the last few pages of this thread. My co-workers are now asking why I'm crying...

I think the appropriate phrase here is: "throwing good money after bad." I wouldn't do it. I'd suck it up as a lesson learned, and put my energy into finding a replacement (via Craigslist), and working from that. Given what you've gone through, I'd even wager that if you put the call out some local forum users might donate some time to help you re-construct this thing.

That is a mofo, I just read this entire thread for the first time, I was so pulling for you man, then the dreaded punctured line, I swear Im going to have a beer or 3 or 5, that really sux, good luck man, I feel your pain.

After all the time and effort put into this build, I gotta say that I'm sorry to hear about the trouble.

to throw my 2 cents in, ditch the current effort and gear up for round 2.

Joe for $500-700 to fix that freezer you can buy 2 magic chefs 7.2 brand new from home depot and still have money left over. I think there about $200 a piece.

To add some positive things to this thread, congrats on the new condo... I'm sure your happy as hell to get out of that house. And on the plus side you qualify for the $7-$8k tax credit right? I'm sure that could buy you a nice kegerator if you can wait a few more months.

Joe for $500-700 to fix that freezer you can buy 2 magic chefs 7.2 brand new from home depot and still have money left over. I think there about $200 a piece.

To add some positive things to this thread, congrats on the new condo... I'm sure your happy as hell to get out of that house. And on the plus side you qualify for the $7-$8k tax credit right? I'm sure that could buy you a nice kegerator if you can wait a few more months.

The condo is more of an investment - currently I'm staying in CT indefinitely.

The condo is more of an investment - currently I'm staying in CT indefinitely

Well if you ever need an extra pair of hands to do some demo or construction let me know. I love doing that stuff.

Sorry to tell you that the price is reasonable for the repair. But its not worth it. I've made repairs like this before and the customer could never believe that their 18 year old freezer stopped working because of the age of the system. Your freezer is most likely r-12. if it is the replacement gas is a drop in substitute that wont work quite as well. Im sorry for your loss.

Back