Product Review: SSBrewing Technologies 20 gallon Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_CraftBeerTraders

Reaction score
Unboxed_SSBrewTech_20gal_Kettle-e1419694786439.jpg

Hey Guys,

I have been wanting to upgrade my home brewing setup to a single tier system for a while now. But one of the biggest decisions was figuring out what Kettle manufacturer I wanted to go with. I currently have a Bayou 7 gallon which is ok for learning, but I wanted something more serious. After months of research between the different manufacturers I decided on SS Brewing Technologies. I went ahead and got one of their 20 gallon 304 SS kettles and wrote up a Product Review from unboxing to brewing. Check it out!

http://blog.craftbeertraders.com/ssbrewtech-20gal-kettle/

Thanks
Joe

Thanks for posting this. I have been going back and forth about which kettle to upgrade to for months as well and was holding out for some feedback on these SS Brew ones.

EDIT: Also, how about an update on how the trub dam works on your next higher hopped beer?

Last edited:
A couple questions.

1. After watching a couple videos on this kettle, it appears the ball valve handle is close to the thermometer. Are there any issues with this?

2. Will the thermometer read if you have 5 gallons in it? If not, what's the minimum it'll read?

Thanks!

A couple questions.

1. After watching a couple videos on this kettle, it appears the ball valve handle is close to the thermometer. Are there any issues with this?

2. Will the thermometer read if you have 5 gallons in it? If not, what's the minimum it'll read?

Thanks!

It is close to the therm but nothing to crazy. I was able to open and close the handle without issue.

As for the readings im not entirely sure. I can measure it out when i get home and let you know. My assumption is yes with the 10 and 15 gallon kettles, i have the 20 gal so i will check that one

Thanks, I'm trying to decide between the 15 & 20 gallon size.

Scriv have a little update for you. Not exactly what you were looking for but its a start. SSBrewTech said that their thermowell is at 5" off the bottom. How that equates to volume not sure. It has been freezing here and I wanted to actually poor water into the kettle to give you an accurate measurement. What i will do though tonight is measure the spacing between the gallon marks that are etched on the kettle. That will give us a rough estimate as to volume.

Sorry about the delay

Sounds good, and no worries on delays, I'm still a few weeks from pulling the trigger on one. Thanks for the info so far!

Hey scriv. Ok so some updates for you. On the 20 gallon kettle the term is about 6" off the bottom of the kettle. 6" matches up to the markings on the kettle was about 6 gallons. So I would say around 6 gallons before the therm is reached.

Also, SSBrewTech said that they are planning to extend the etching down into the kettle for smaller volume readings. This should be happening soon.

Lastly the updated the blade design on the trub dam. Here is a picture of the new design.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421980913.135709.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1421980937.095119.jpg

This sits a lot tighter to the base of the kettle and is a lot harder to fall off or knock off.

Thanks for the update! I'm happy to hear they plan to extend the gallon markings, that was the one thing that bothered me about these.

Back