Procuring a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzimpleman

Reaction score
There's a guy near me selling an AB 1/2 barrel keg on Craigslist for $60. I'm hoping to build a 3 keggle setup and since I only have the boil kettle, so far, I called him.

In full disclosure, I have contacted our local AB distributor and they are working on getting me a legitimate "retired" keg but have told me that they are hard to come by.

This guy up the road says that he bought some property with a barn and the keg was inside. It appears to be on good shape, but no one will take it off his hands in exchange for deposit money. Hence selling it on CL.

Thoughts? I don't want to give any credence to someone stealing a keg and I don't want to over pay.

Local beer barn near me will sell them for deposit price, Ive bought two

How much do they get for a keg? It's been years since I have "rented" one.

Well if he can't return the keg then it can't be stealing, $60 isn't a bad price I say go for it.

I'd be all over it. Last keg I bought to turn into a keggle was a CL purchase (~$40, IIRC). I have absolutely no idea if it was decommissioned or "retired." Honestly, I don't care either. Am I a bad person? Probably. But for far more other reasons than that.

Back