Problems with building cooler mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I know this is a vague start, but I am having a lot of trouble getting all the pieces to fit tight/snug. I researched it a lot and watched a lot of videos so I know I have all the right parts. Any advice anybody can give me?

Sometimes those bulkheads are not tight on the cooler with just one washer between the outside of the cooler and the valve. That's why I suggested you add a washer. If that isn't helpful, we may need more info -- type of cooler, type of bulkhead, etc.

Its a 10 gallon Rubbermaid round cooler. I have one fender washer inside and 3 outside. I'm not sure the rubber gasket that came with the built in spigot is fitting very snug

Okay, you seem to have enough washers.

The gasket should be compressed against the inside wall of the cooler to get a seal. Sometimes, even though it is compressed and doesn't leak, the whole valve/bulkhead fitting assembly will rotate a bit when you twist on the valve, and that's okay -- as long as it doesn't leak.

Is the fender washer on the inside larger than the gasket? If so, due to the curvature of the cooler, that could prevent the gasket from being compressed properly. Typically I think I have seen these with just a gasket and lock nut on the inside, but a washer could be okay.

When you try to tighten it up, what prevents it from tightening?

It seems to be screwed on all the way. Ill try more washers and see if that helps

The fender washer inside rarely works well unless you pack the hell out of the nipple's threads with teflon tape. The water is going between your interior fitting and the washer and then spiraling down the threads under the gasket.

My advice is to buy a SS cooler kit online. They work well and I've never had a leak yet. I've built 4 of them. I originally bought all the parts and did my own, but the kits are so much easier.

Also, buy a few extra washers. They're always nice to have around.

I made mine last year and I had the leakage issue too. When I loaded it up with water it would have a very slow leak. When I'm mashing though it doesn't leak at all and never has.
I broke the handle off my ball valve because I was trying to tighten it so much. My best advice to you is to just keep trying it. If it leaks, take it apart and rebuild it again. I used the gasket that came with the cooler and it seems to work ok after a year or so of use.

Make sure your fender washer on the inside is stainless steel. I had a heck of a time finding a 5/8 ss fender washer... I had to buy 12 of them from a contractors supply store. Any other kind of metal in there will corrode and could harm you.

My 2 cents:
-There is legitimate concern of water spiraling down the threads under the lock nut (teflon tape fixes this)
-The whole assembly doesn't need to remain rigid and unmoving; you just don't want it leaking
-Less is more ;)

My setup on a 5G round water cooler is (inside -> out):
Nipple (teflon taped) -> Lock nut > Red Oring > White Cooler Gasket > Wall of Cooler > 2 Fender Washers > Ball Valve

All of this is tightened to "fingertip tight". When the assembly is cold it can move if you give a little effort but when it's warm it's a tad on the easy side to move, however I've not had any leaks in about a year since I've built it and it doesn't move on it's own.

Hope this helps!

Back